Can you sale a house with Tax Leins?

Asked by Kimberly Wallace, Home, WA Thu Nov 13, 2008

I am helping a friend concerning a family property that was left to them appox. 18yrs. ago and 10 of thosemost recent years - the taxes have been in default with over 15,000.00 owed. My question is can they sale the house "As Is" before the house is foreclosed on? If not what steps can be taken so that they do not loose the house to forecloser and adventally sale.

Answers

5
Renee Porsia, Agent, Newtown, PA
Thu Nov 13, 2008
Hi Kimberly,

I would love to talk with you more about this situation. I have many other questions that may be too long to post here. If you could, please contact me at (215) 669-0589.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION REALTY
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office Ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com
Lacenia James, , Elkins Park, PA
Sun Nov 16, 2008
In short, yes. The property can be sold as long as the liens are satisfied by either party as agreed upon at settlement. The city of Philadelphia is cracking down on those who owe real estate taxes of 50k or more. However, you do not want to take any chances on loosing the property due to tax liens. I suggest contacting a real estate lawyer ASAP before listing the property for sale.
Chris and St…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Fri Nov 14, 2008
Kimberly,

Unfortunately, this is common. There are a lot of properties out there that are way behind on their taxes. I just sold one last week where there was close to a $10K tax lien in addition to a water lien as well.

In any event, yes these properties are sold and settled all the time. If the property can clear title, than you are fine. Which means the sales price would need to be high enough where the closing costs can be paid in addition to the liens being paid off. If not, than the seller would need to bring cash to the table in order for the buyer to receive "clear title".

Distressed properties are in demand so typically the buyers are cash buyers and can settle fast. This is one of our specialties.

Check out one of our exclusive sites for investors - http://www.phillyinvestorhub.com .

Feel free to contact us if you are seeking realtor representation to get the highest price for the property and protection from the sharks that are out there ! We can be reached at thesomersteam@yahoo.com or through our site below.
Web Reference:  http://www.thesomersteam.com
Realtynovice, Both Buyer And Seller, Akron, OH
Thu Nov 13, 2008
Short answer: yes, it's not unlike having a mortgage on the property and will have to be paid off before you can convey clear title.
Linsey Plane…, Agent, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Thu Nov 13, 2008
I would speak to a local agent and/or real estate attorney. The could sell the property and have the lien satisfied with the funds from the sale of the home as long as there is enough equity after the sale and closing costs. If they are already in default, I would get in touch with someone ASAP. The sooner you start the process, the better off you are.