Can you put to many upgrades in a townhouse? We want to remodel our kitchen and bathrooms but we're afraid we

Asked by Megan, Pittsburgh, PA Sun Feb 17, 2008

Answers

6
Elizabeth Ca…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Tue Dec 30, 2008
Megan,

You are smart to ask if you might be over improving your town home. While kitchen and bath remodels are the biggest improvements that help to sell a town home you want to be sure that you can get your investment back out. When choosing materials try to select neutral materials that will appeal to many people and don't go too crazy with upgraded appliances and materials that can sometimes double the cost of your remodel.

I have a lot of experience with remodeling projects in my own properties and I have always been able to let me know if you would like me to preview your town home and help you with more specific suggestions. You can contact me at 412-302-2645, liz@pittsburghhomesite.com. Good luck
Crystal Alfo…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Mon Feb 18, 2008
Kitchens and Baths are the best upgrades you can make, but make sure that you keep it in line with what other units have. For example, if most units are selling in the low $100's and they have nice maple cabinets and new laminate or corian counters, you don't want to put in top of the line cherry cabinets with granite or quartz counters and professional grade stainless steel appliances that you would see in $200K townhouses.
Pete Simonet…, Agent, Wayne, PA
Mon Feb 18, 2008
Megan,

You can always overdo it. The big question is whether you're making these upgrades because you plan to live there for a while or whether you anticipate moving in a few years.

Take a look at the link below - it's a cost vs value report and might give you an idea what your payback might be for an improvement.

Joey Rahimi, Both Buyer And Seller, Pittsburgh, PA
Mon Feb 18, 2008
Redo the kitchen and bathrooms. That's where you get the most value after performing an upgrade. If at all possible, do it yourself too. You can take classes at many Home Depots to learn how easy home improvement can be.

Besides the kitchen and bathrooms, I'd just make sure everything else is cosmetically clean and presentable.

If you give us a list of what you're considering to upgrade, I can tell you what will be worth your dollar to pursue.
Kathy Carter, , Bergen County, NJ
Sun Feb 17, 2008
If you're really that concerned, have a realtor in and ask for advise.
YOUR FRIENDLY…, , 06460
Sun Feb 17, 2008
You can always put to much into a property whether it be a townhouse or even a house. There is always a limit when you can over remodel the place but the kitchens and baths are the biggest reason why the properties sell and with the remodeling it will sell that much quicker than everything else out there as long as you have it priced right. So remember to keep the costs to a minimum and son't go overboard.