Can my agent refuse my request to keep me in the loop on negotiations with the buyer?

Asked by Richelle, Carson City, NV Mon Aug 22, 2011

After my agent failed to communicate to the buyer's an important information during the sale, I have asked my agent to keep me in the loop via email on what he's negotiating with the buyer's for me, going forward so I have a written record because he denies that I told him about the information. I told him I have emails sent to him. He had not complied with my request, ignored my question on the latest negotiations he's doing to complete the transaction. Incidentally, the buyers do not want to work with us anymore after that failure to communicate. He's still trying to close the transaction (I think). What can I do now?

Answers

5
Steven Ford, Agent, Memphis, TN
Mon Aug 22, 2011
Your agent has a fiduciary responsibility to follow your instructions to the letter...as long as you are not requesting he/she engage in illegal activity or contrary to the rules that regulate his/her association or code of ethics. PERIOD.

A call to the Broker should get the results you need. Your agent should not be out there "negotiating" for you on their own anyway. You have the final say no matter what...because you have to sign the contracts and all addendums.

Give the agent a heads up and explain that if he/she does not begin to comply with your requests that you will be forced to speak with the Broker.

Good Luck
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Aug 22, 2011
Richelle,

Your request is neither unusual or unreasonable....it may be time to speak with his broker about your concerns and the agent's unwillingness to cooperate with your request.

Cindy Eanes, Agent, Colonial Heights, VA
Mon Aug 22, 2011
It is the responsibility of your agent to keep you informed on the current standings of any negotiations he or she is handling for you. The agent is there to assist you in negotiating but it is your decision on actions taken in the negotiation process. If your agent is not responding to you in a way you feel comfortable with, speak with the Broker in charge and explain your concerns. This matter should be corrected quickly as to not cause you any further upset or unfavorable negotiations. Your agent's Broker is there to oversee the actions of the agent.
Joan Braunsc…, , Morris County, NJ
Mon Aug 22, 2011
You are your agent's employer. I would talk to the agent's broker (who actuallly "owns" the listing), bring all of your documentation and express your concerns.

This is not the way this should be. You are the director and the agent is your advisor and facilitator. The fact that you are not even sure if your agent is still trying to close the transaction is disturbing to say the least and the broker needs to know about it, asap.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Mon Aug 22, 2011
Many times it can get confusing with seller off the negotiations can cause problems where the seller starts launching emails to buyer/buyer agent.

I had a property owner step in middle of sales transaction AGREED to certain time, I am on 4 hour flight ... needless to state we lost the contract ... I could not respond with documents

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com