Midnights In…, Both Buyer and Seller in Lake Orion, MI

Can anyone tell me why it seems agents only show their own listings?

Asked by Midnights In Michigan- LS, Lake Orion, MI Sun Sep 30, 2007

Answers

17
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Sun Sep 30, 2007
Lisa, have you had a bad experience with this? I rarely have a buyer that my listings fit all of their needs! I try to find the buyer the perfect property for them. I don't worry about who has it listed. Please tell us more!
Maureen Fran…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Sun Sep 30, 2007
Lisa,

I have never noticed anything like that. I show my clients the homes that will best suit their personal needs. Generally speaking, that is not usually something I have listed, even with about 30 listings.
Web Reference:  http://mioaklandcounty.com
Maureen Fran…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Sun Sep 30, 2007
Some of the largest offices in Metro Detroit are in Birmingham, Rochester and Troy. I work out of a Birmingham office and I have listings all over and I show listings all over. We have always had listings pretty much throughout the county. I can't give you a source for this, but I have heard (and it could be wrong) that statistically speaking the largest percentage of Oakland County real estate is sold out of Birmingham offices. Again, don't hold me to that stat.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sun Sep 30, 2007
Hi Lisa,

Did you experience this as a buyer? Or, as a seller, is it only your listing agent who has brought buyers and you are assuming other agents aren't showing your property in favor of thier own listings?

If this was your experience as a buyer, I am sorry to hear that and can assure you that is rare. Most buyer agentsare completely and wholeheartedly dedicated to helping their buyers find that best property for them. Aside from legal requirements of fiduciary, the bottom line is that most buyer agents are motivated by a sincere desire to achieve the goal of finding you the best property for you. Realtors derive great satisfaction in knowing that they played a role in your happiness with your new home. If your buyer agent is not sharing your passion, it wouldn't be hard to find one who will. Giving benefit of the doubt to the current buyer agent, I would suggest that you voice your concerns on thie matter with that agent first before jumping ship to the next agent. Perhaps his/her detailed knowledge of his/her own listings casued more focus on those properties and accidently painted a picture different than intented.

As a seller, if only your listing agent is showing your property, inquire about broker marketing, ck to see if the buyer agent compensation is competitive, and ck your pricing to ensure it is competitive. If your property is widely exposed to the broker community, and properly priced, you will get showings from other agents.
Kathy Toth T…, Agent, Ann Arbor, MI
Sun Sep 30, 2007
May I ask, what leads you to believe that it seems that agents show thier own listings? A buyer representative has a fiduciary relationship with the buyer client to represent the buyer; thus, the agent is bound to put the clients needs first. The buyer will pick the best house for the buyer and the agent gets paid regardless which house the buyer chooses, so again, I am curious.
realestate_l…, Agent, Fresh Meadows, NY
Sun Mar 22, 2009
Lisa Im not sure what type of agency relationship you established with you Realtor Assuming they are a Realtor, I can understand why a sales person would show you thier own listings before showing others. Theyy
have a financial and ethical reason, How would you feel if you were the seller and you hired me to sell your property,but I was showing competing properties. When the agent had you sign a disclosure agreement it should have stated who the agent works for. This should be done before any property is shown though not always in the real world. Now after you rule out the possibility of purchasing any of the agents listings there is no reason then that they would have difficulty showing other properties. Did you make it clear there was no chance of you buying one of the agents listings?
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Mar 21, 2009
Simple put this is untrue..........agents serve their customers based on the customer's search criteria not the listings in their stable.
Maureen Fran…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Sat Mar 21, 2009
Well, since we are somehow back on this question 18 months later, I hope your home has sold. If yes, where was the buyer's agent from?
Web Reference:  http://miOaklandCounty.com
J R, , New York, NY
Sat Mar 21, 2009
Upon revisiting this old question, isn't it funny how some people complain their listing agent NEVER showed their house, while this person is complaining they ONLY show their own listings, LOL
donyale maho…, Agent, birmingham, MI
Sat Mar 21, 2009
Agents are salespeople and it's their job to market their properties. If they have a property that meets the criteria of their buyer, they'd be foolish not to show it. However, I've not come across an agent, in my experience, that has focused solely on their own properties. We work on commission and can't earn a living without closing deals. There's no way that we'd pass up the opportunity to make a sale, regardless of who has the home listed. Again, I'm speaking only from my own experience and that of the agents that I'm in regular day to day contact with. Communication is key. Tell your agent what your feeling and if you still feel like the agent is non responsive, then look for another agent. Your agent should give you advice, guide you through the process, but not limit your access to such a vast array of properties for sale. Good luck to you.
Ann Byer, Agent, Commerce, MI
Fri Nov 23, 2007
Well, I am not totally certain what you are referring to but if you are meaning that an agent will only show you homes that she/he has listed then this is unethical. An agent cannot stir you in any direction and must show you any home you want to see in any area. This is licensing law and if an agent is not doing this then do not work with this agent get one that follows the rules.
Web Reference:  http://www.annbyerhomes.com
realestate_l…, Agent, Fresh Meadows, NY
Mon Oct 1, 2007
The answer is quite simple. The agent works for a seller and has a duty sellers or brokers .Its a matter of ethics. Then at that point he or she is free to show other brokers listings.If you listed a property with an agent would you expect less? Also there is a financial motivatioin on the agents part , Knowing that a deal may be more solid and go smoothly is a factor,also if its the agents listing they stand to make more money on the deal. If I ommitted that I would be less than honest.
This applies only if the agent is not in contract with you as an exclusive buyer agent.
To learn more about the difference visit the link below
Web Reference:  http://www.rebac.net
smith3gary, Agent, White Lake, MI
Sun Sep 30, 2007
L. I like the name change, very creative. LOL

Thanks for updating your question, I’m sure you’ll get better answers.

With increased reliance on the Internet, many agents work a 50 mile radius from their home, not their office. There is something called Buyer Migration that tracks where people are moving to within the State. For the Lake Orion area, they are moving from zip codes within the cities you mentioned.

Was your agent a waterfront specialist? There is a list of all agents in Michigan provided by the Michigan Association of Realtors (http://mirealtors.com) at http://mi.living.net/ go to that site and click on realtors. Select Lake Orion and Residential waterfront/luxury from the drop down menu. Four Realtors will come up for Lake Orion. You can start by interviewing these agents, or expand your search out to around Commerce, Twp (The Lakes Area).

I also recommend ordering this booklet http://realestatecoach.com/training/sellmyhouse.html to use in interviewing agents. I can send you one at no cost.

There is a Free Seminar in Brighton at The Michigan Group office for homeowners that want to move up in this market. You can read about it at the website below. If you are currently selling privately, I can also recommend some great websites to market your home.
J R, , New York, NY
Sun Sep 30, 2007
The danger of listing with an agency that is not in your location is that the agent cannot network your house to other agents in the area who have buyers. If the agent hasn't had multiple broker open houses, with plenty of incentive to get agents to attend (food, prizes, giveaways, for example) the agent are going to show what they know first. There is such a plethora of homes available, you really need to be marketed TO THE OTHER LOCAL AGENTS to stand out.

Another reason is that when calls come in on signs from the out of area agency, the agents are going to show other houses near them. Again, with the number of houses for sale, I can pick out 5 good listings to show in close proximity, without venturing to the next town. The only time your house is going to be shown by those agents is when a sign call is made. Even then, in my experience most people who call on a sign can't afford the house they are calling on. They think it's less money than it is.
Midnights In…, Both Buyer And Seller, Lake Orion, MI
Sun Sep 30, 2007
Let me explain a little further. We had our house listed twice in the last 3 years. We did not select an Agency in Lake Orion/Oxford. Each time we had not a single agent in our area show our house. They were all from Birmingham, Rochester, Troy. Not a single Agency in Lake Orion or Oxford showed our house. Which leads me to believe, the agents here in Lake Orion/Oxford only show their listings. I have spoken with other neighbors who had their houses listed with Agencys not in LO/OX and they too have not had LO/OX agents bring clients through.
smith3gary, Agent, White Lake, MI
Sun Sep 30, 2007
Lisa, While I agree with everyones answer, there could be some agents that show their listings or their company listings first if it matches the buyers general criteria. To me, and I'm sure the others answering this would be unethical.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sun Sep 30, 2007
Hi Lisa:

I agree with everybody else. As agents, we do not show only our own listings.

Our first and foremost desire and obligation is to find our clients the best house that fits their criteria. This means we will show all the houses that are within or more than our clients selection criteria so they can narrow them down and pick the one they feel best fit them among many.

If your house is priced competitively, on the multiple listing, shows great both on Internet and in reality, you allow for easy showing, and your agent has done extensive marketing to give proper exposure to your house, then your house should be shown by all agents with clients in that price range, looking for the kind of house like yours.

Could you please explain why you feel that way and give us a little more detail about the situation, we will be able to give you better assistance.

Sylvia