Can anyone tell me what is the going rate for the agent that sells the home? Is there any room to negotiate the agents commission?

Asked by Gina, Chicago Heights, IL Tue Jul 17, 2012

I'd like to put up my house. My husband has specific preferences as to days and times of showings, Amount we are willing to sell for etc.. We are located in Chicago Heights, IL cook county

Answers

3
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Tue Jul 17, 2012
I do not know the "going rate" for your area. I do have a client near Chicago who has been trying to sell their home for 2 years. They, too, had specific preferences about price and showings, as well as what they were willing to do to their home to get it ready for the market. Each time, they chose the agent that gave them a discounted rate and wouldn't argue with them about their marketing and selling terms. Turns out, the rate the agent quoted them wasn't relevant at all, since no agent has gotten paid yet.

My advice - if you want to sell, hire the best agent, pay their price and sell your house. I quess you could hire the cheap agent, and be selective about everything else. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.
Laurie Chris…, Agent, Oak Park, IL
Tue Jul 17, 2012
Hi Gina,
The previous answer is correct; all commissions are set by individual agents and their clients. Certain agents may choose not to negotiate while others will. I offer a few different levels of marketing/exposure depending on how much you want to spend, including a flat-fee MLS listing. As you may or may not be aware, the vast majority of buyers today are working with a buyer's agent. The MLS is the #1 tool agents use to identify potential properties of interest for their buyers, so having your listing here is vital to your success. Please contact me for more details.
Laurie Christofano, Realtor
Licensed Real Estate Broker
RE/MAX In The Village, Realtors
Kevin Olson,…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Tue Jul 17, 2012
There isn't a "going rate" and all commission is negotiable. If you find an agent is holding firm on what they think they are worth you might consider that a good sign they'll do the same for the price of your home.

Best Wishes,
Kevin