Can a seller refuse a final walk through? The buyers are cheap and have had extremely through inspections completed.

Asked by wilcoxemail, Saint Louis, MO Thu Nov 28, 2013

Answers

15
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Fri Nov 29, 2013
It's unfortunate that you have had difficulty with your buyers. A Final Walk Through is part of the purchase contract in California(where your question is posted). It would be unwise to refuse to allow this. IF you are concerned about the buyers finding something amiss, it would be prudent to make sure the property is in good condition before final walk-through so there are no problems. IF you can't do this yourself, your Realtor should be able to help.
Alexander Gr…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Thu Nov 28, 2013
No.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
Brad Korb, Agent, Burbank, CA
Sat Dec 21, 2013
It all depends on what the contract states,unless it is voided out all California of Realtor's forms have a standard final walk-thru in the paperwork ,good luck !
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Wed Dec 4, 2013
NO, They can not refuse the buyer a final walk through!

Please review your purchase agreement.

Even with the inspection being done, the buyer has every right to a FINAL walk through.

I hope the seller will be reasonable and not risk the close of the deal by actin in such a manner.

Best of luck resolving this one.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Jason Walter, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Sun Dec 1, 2013
Check your purchase agreement/contract. In CA there is section that details the buyer's right to a final walk through.
Johnny James, Agent, Palmdale, CA
Fri Nov 29, 2013
The seller can refuse to attend the final walk thru but the buyer still has the right to perform the final inspection prior to the close of escrow.
Barbara Gran…, Agent, Anaheim, CA
Fri Nov 29, 2013
Hi Wilcox,

In California, buyers have the right to a final walk through to show that any requested repairs have been made and the property is in the same condition as when they purchased it. However, there's nothing that says you have to be present. Save yourself the aggravation and have your agent handle it.

Best of luck to you,

Barbara Grandolfo
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Fri Nov 29, 2013
If the contract is the CAR contract, Page 5, Paragraph 16. States the days for walk through. If the seller refuses they are breach of contract. Your contract will detail the remedies the Buyer has in regards to seller in breach.

The Client's agents should be present. This walk through is for the benefit of both the seller and buyer. If, you the seller, will not be present, your agent should be present. It documents the condition of the home prior to closing. If the buyers can't get in, if repairs agreed to are not done, or damage occurred during the seller move out, a Buyer can request a delay or monetary hold back.

As frustrating as this process has been for you the seller. I suggest you focus on the end result of getting the house closed on time. And because you are concerned about the condition of the home, insist that your agent is present during the walk through.
Bart Vickrey, Agent, Valparaiso, IN
Fri Nov 29, 2013
I think the buyer has every right. What if their is that one little thing in the house thats just driving them crazy but everything else is perfect....wouldn't you want to look at it again?
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Nov 29, 2013
While they may be able to refuse to allow you to do your walk through... I would imagine (if Missouri contracts are anything like those we use in northern Illinois) that your contract gives you the right (if they should refuse) to cancel the contract, or create an escrow (a cash holdback) in case there is unknown damage done to the property.
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Thu Nov 28, 2013
Lots of comments about California - but you're in Missouri, eh? Check your contract. If there is no requirement for a final walk-through, it's a courtesy. If it's in the contract, you might as well let them in.
Kathleen Bec…, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Thu Nov 28, 2013
The Buyer has the right to do a "final verification of property condition" prior to close of escrow...it is stated in the contract...simply to make sure that the property is in the same condition that it was in when they went into escrow and that any repairs, retrofits, or other items mutually agreed to in the purchase contract were completed.

This is the Buyer's right and with out it, the Seller is in breach of contract. Issue them a "Notice to Perform" and verify the property condition.

In some cases, fixtures were taken from the property, items and trash were left behind and sometimes damage has been done to the property.

It is best for you to check for yourself and make sure that the house is in an acceptable condition prior to close of escrow.

Kat
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Thu Nov 28, 2013
I guess you are the sellers and have been beat up on things up to this point. Refusing to allow a walk thru would likely make the buyers wonder why. Walk thrus are usually not a time for more negotiations and just a way for a buyer to make sure the sellers did nothing they should not do at the last minute. As long as you did not you have nothing to worry about - allow it and don't worry. Most often they take 10-20 minutes tops and the buyer just wants to make sure you didn't damage the house since they last saw it.
someone else I meant to say
Flag Thu Nov 28, 2013
Beaten up is correct. We are leaving town before the close and I am nervous about the final walk through as we won't be there afterwards to make sure that no windows are left unlocked and that the stove is not left on. Lord Only Knows...these people got in our shower and left footprints during a showing and moved personal items around. I so wish someone had made an offer on our house faster.
Flag Thu Nov 28, 2013
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Thu Nov 28, 2013
Hi wilcoxemail,

If the property is in CA, the Residential Purchase Contract states the buyer has the right to do a final walk through within the 5 days before close of escrow. If the seller signed the CA contract, they have to allow the buyer to do the final walk through. The reason for the final walk through is for the buyer to verify there have been no significant changes to the property since the contract was signed (i.e. damages, missing appliances, etc).

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Nov 28, 2013
In the California purchase contract, it states that buyers have a right to do a walk thru.

I encourage you to read through your contract again. Are agents involved - if so, ask your agent?
Thanks Cindy!! I will follow through on your suggestions. These buyers first low balled our house, then have had ever possible thing inspected (including a sewer scope and radon inspection). Plus, they left our oven on after the home inspection as well as several window unlocked upstairs. The HVAC co they used for the gas inspection falsely identified a gas leak in our home after a 2 1/2 hour gas inspection. My husband and I are moving out of state and may not be around for this "final inspection" and this just really bothers me. I don't want them damaging my house and then acting like we did something wrong.
Flag Thu Nov 28, 2013