Jessica, Home Seller in

Can a realtor come and take his lockbox, while he still has the listing, leave the homeowners keys under the?

Asked by Jessica, Wed Jul 30, 2008

porch, and not even tell the homeowner that he has done so?

Answers

16
., , Somerset County, NJ
Wed Jul 30, 2008
I doubt if Jessica the home seller thinks this is a joking matter. Plus sorry Franky your response is incorrect even if you where joking. Hey your not the listing agent are you?
;, , Riverhead, NY
Wed Jul 30, 2008
Jessica, I'd call the broker/manager and let them know what's going on. Is the real estate salesperson still in business (not the broker, but the actual salesperson)? Many are leaving, but the lack of communication demonstrates something unacceptable in a market where sellers already face many challenges. Opinion? Find another company a.s.a.p.
Web Reference:  http://optionsrealty.com
Carol Pease,…, Agent, Austin, TX
Sat Aug 2, 2008
Hi Jessica:

I'm sorry this happened to you. It shouldn't have. Your agent has acted in a very unprofessional manner. Sounds like there was a communication problem between the two of you. A phone call to them to express your displeasure is appropriate right now. Sometimes when a listing is about to expire I've see agents do this. They simply don't know what to say because they did not sell your home.

Carol Pease, ABR, CRB, CRS, e-PRO, GRI
Angela Schra…, Agent, Pembroke Pines, FL
Wed Jul 30, 2008
Jessica - what was the reason for this? I can't imagine why your Realtor would do this other than, perhaps, the fact that the listing was about to expire and not be renewed or you had expressed your dissatisfaction with them, but even then, it doesn't answer why they would do something so careless and stupid.

I would contact your Realtor's broker and complain about this. Remember, the broker is responsible for everything their Realtors do. If your home has a security risk because of this Realtor, their broker is responsible. I'm sure that he/she would want to know this.

Best of luck to you,

Angela in sunny South Florida
Web Reference:  http://www.villagrealty.com
., , Somerset County, NJ
Wed Jul 30, 2008
The lockboxes are usually purchased from the agents MLS system. Most listing agreements have the owner give permission to place a lockbox. In the MLS agreement it probably does not address the removal of the box. You may want to discuss this experience with the Broker of the Real Estate Company.
Robert Thiem…, , Mineral, VA
Tue Jan 19, 2010
Mary I have seen this done before usually the agent has let his license expire or some other reason no he should not have left the keys outside of a lock box. I did this once but only after talking with the owner and putting the key where he wanted it . This agent shows no respect for the home owner, his property, or the agents reputation
I work the mineral area and if you need a good realtor call me
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sun Aug 17, 2008
Hi Jessica, your agent has demonstrated very poor form. No, the agent should not have done this. It is his/her responsibility to return the keys to you. I'm most uncomfortable with his/her leaving the keys outside the security of the lockbox absent any communication to you. What a breach of security and responsiblity on the part of your agent!

You need an agent with backbone, professionalism and good communication skills. Your agent has demonstrated through his/her actions that he/she lacks one or all of these important skills. If you are still interested in selling, find yourself another agent.

I specialize in Somerset and Middlesex Counties and would be honored to assist you.

Jeannie Feenick
Search and connect at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Trisha McCar…, Agent, Newburyport, MA
Sat Aug 2, 2008
Hi Jessica, the agent should not have done that. I wonder if your agent just didn't know how to face you. We try very hard to get the job done, and sometimes it is hard to accept, when we can't complete the task. A note or phone call to the agent would give him/her the opportunity to speak with you. The agent is responsible for the key you provided, and it should be handed back to you. I always wonder if perhaps the agent was going through a tough time, and didn't want to face you for any number of reasons. We sometimes talk ourselves into the easy way out, which isn't always the correct way. I would want to give someone a chance to explain, and maybe a second chance to do the job. We all make mistakes, and I would work twice as hard, if someone gave me a second chance. It's the Golden Rule and I find it works well for me. Again, sorry this happened. Enjoy your day and think positive. Trisha McCarthy, RE/MAX On The River, Newburyport, Massachusetts
FrankyRealty, , Arlington, VA
Wed Jul 30, 2008
You all are no fun. You all are no fun.
Cindy Jones, Agent, Alexandira, VA
Wed Jul 30, 2008
Sounds like you need to call his broker and find out what is going on. Though Franks answer is the best one :-)
Web Reference:  http://cindyjoneshomes.com
Jim Johnson, , 78233
Wed Jul 30, 2008
Obviously yes, but I'd be surprised that anyone was that stupid! This significantly compromises your security, and abrogates the agent's responsibility to you. Complain directly to your broker and local board of REALTORS.
Leonardo Mon…, Agent, Palm Springs, CA
Wed Jul 30, 2008
Hi Jessica,

That is an easy one.....NO.. he cannot do this. It is his responsability to hand you the keys personally or have them certified mailed to you. If this happened to you , please call his office and ask to talk to his/her manager and let them know.
Leonardo
Web Reference:  http://www.leonardoteam.com
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Wed Jul 30, 2008
Hi Jessica:

I would never do that nor do I believe most of the other Realtors will do that - we don't even have to talk about Code of Ethics, etc. This is just common sense for safety reasons.

Your Realtor, or anybody else for that matter, should get your approval on where to leave the keys instead of just leave it under the porch.

Normally, if I have to take the lock box away and I cant not deliver the keys to my clients for some strange reason, I will at least leave the keys in my office's WILL CALL and let you know that's where you can pick up the keys. This is a more secure way.

I will talk to the agent and the broker in charge. As this is really not the best practice for either. And it is entirely possible that the agent has either changed the office or out of business (which does happen now a days).

Sylvia
., , Somerset County, NJ
Wed Jul 30, 2008
You should contact the agent and then their Broker.
Jessica, Home Seller,
Wed Jul 30, 2008
Just to give a little more information about this issue that I am having, he also removed the brochures that he had put inside my home. I have contacted him but have not gotten a response. He left his signs in my yard and my listing is still on the local MLS. I am totally confused as to what is going on.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Wed Jul 30, 2008
Jessica
If you need legal advice, please consult an attorney

First, it appears that there is a communication problem. I encourage you to contact the Realtor immediately. If that is not possible, then their broker.

Second, You need to find out what is going on. This action is highly unusual and may be a violation of the REaltors Code of Ethics.

Depending upon the outcome of your conversations you can file a grievance with your local association of Realtors.

However, focusing on the security issue, I think communication with the Realtor should be the next step. Please post more if you need to.