Can a home be sold without the property taxes being paid and if so who is responsible if you paid for the insurance in your escrow to make sure it?

Asked by blaque_rose40, Covington, GA Thu Aug 16, 2012

was taken care of and the escrow company has gone out of business I have been dealing with this issue for 7 yrs now and it's on my credit report please help ASAP

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kawain Payne’s answer
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Are you sure this was not a supplemental property tax? Sometimes a supplemental tax is assesed after the sale of a property is recorded. . This is a tax assessed after closing. Escrow would have no knowledge of this, which is why it was not paid through escrow.

Your insurance payment is also separate from taxes. Go back a read the bill carefully and see if it is a supplemental tax.

Best of Luck to you
0 votes
Tamara Stoebe, Agent, Lancaster, CA
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Hello blaque_rose40,

Sounds like you've been through an ordeal - real estate taxes currently owed and past due should have been paid through your escrow. You received at the close of escrow a HUD-1 Settlement Statement - typically a legal size document with lots of lines, and a breakdown of all the fees/charges paid through escrow.

When you completed your transaction besides the Escrow Company you should have also used a Title Company - someone like First American Title, Fidelity Title, etc. Each of these title companies are underwritten and even if your escrow and title have both gone out of business, the title company's underwriter is still in business.

You need to find a copy of your Owner's Title Policy, call the number on the policy and reference the title order number. If you cannot find a copy of the policy then call a local title company such as First American Title @ (770) 761-6546, and ask them to look up your street address and find out who the title insurer was of your title 7 years ago.

I hope that this is helpful information and I wish you the best of luck - because the next step may be an attorney http://(

Good luck,
Tamara Stoebe, REALTOR/Notary
DRE License #01827461
Prudential Troth REALTORS
1801 W. Ave. K
Lancaster, CA 93534
(661) 466-6849
Fax (661) 422-3006
0 votes
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Aug 16, 2012
No, you have not been dealing wit this issue, or it would be resolved:
The Title Company got a Title Policy to cover this eventuality; you should have the paperwork from that transaction. They pay an Insurance Company for that coverage.
It shouldn't matter if the Title Company is out of business; you should have the policy.

Most Real Estate Brokers are required to keep a copy of everything for a number of years, probably 3 to 5 years. So your only hope is YOUR files.

Good luck and may God bless
0 votes
Laura Coffey, Agent, Santa Clarita, CA
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Who was the title company ? That's why there is title insurance. You need to check with them. Pull your title from the county.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Lancaster Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more