Betty, Home Buyer in Belleville, NJ

Can I put a house for sale with the condition of the buyer getting the certificate of ocupancy?

Asked by Betty, Belleville, NJ Mon Feb 21, 2011

I seeing it done when is a short sale but can you do that for a regular sale?

Answers

5
Carl Ben Wit…, Agent, Upper Montclair, NJ
Thu Jun 16, 2011
You seem to be a seller not a buyer. I know this is an old question, but can't help but note that doing what you ask in Belleville is particularly troublesome. Any work at all in a house that is not on a "permit" by the town, can be the cause of requiring opening permits for a fee, associated sketches and drawings, inspection appointments. If the history of your house is that all work and improvements has been on opened and then closed permits, asking the buyer to pay the fee, make the appointment, gain access to your house before closing and then follow up on any remedial work requested without your involvement as owner and seller, you are making it difficult to buy. In this market, making it more difficult to buy is not a good idea. In Bellevile, previous work to your ownership, if not done on a permit, will require the permit process. A lot more needs to be known to give you an accurate answer on doing what you ask. Sellers do ask the buyer to obtain CofO, but that does mean it is a good idea in selling a house. Carl - 973 632 8593
Robin Silver…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Garden City, NY
Mon Feb 21, 2011
Requiring a certificate of occupancy will not automatically mean that your house will be appraised in "fair" condition. Appraisers do not search for CO's on properties, so they have no way of knowing if one is filed or not. Also, it depends on what it is that needs a CO, and whether you have an open permit or not. Also, it will depend on where or if the buyer is getting financing, and how badly they want your house. If there is work to be done, they can take out a 203k loan and get the CO in the process of doing repairs. There are a handful of lenders out there who might lend without the CO, or would lend and allow the buyer to get the CO within a limited time frame.
Each time you put one of these contingencies into the equation, you limit your pool of buyers, as was previously stated. If you want to get the highest price for your house, I would suggest getting that CO before closing.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Mon Feb 21, 2011
Yes you can. It sounds like you are saying you want to list the house AS-IS which is like saying it's for sale but I will not make any repairs so don't ask. You won't get top dollar for selling like that, but you can.
Dp2, , Virginia
Mon Feb 21, 2011
Yes, you can, but expect to take a price hit for that request/requirement. Keep in mind that your request implies that your property probably would appraise in fair (or poorer) condition, and that will shrink the size of the pool of your potential buyers, because most conventional lenders won't lend on properties that appraise in that kind of condition.

Please let me know if you're open to doing something creative, because I might be interested in buying the property. You might also want to reach out to some of the other investors in your area.
Spirit Messi…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Mon Feb 21, 2011
In reality you could ask that the buyer do just about anything, however that may limit your listings potential. Is there or are there any reasons why it would be difficult to obtain the certificate of occupany? If not, get it before hand. I wonder if we are talking about the same thing though, •A document issued by the governing authority in accordance with the provisions of a building permit. The certificate of occupancy indicates that in the opinion of the building official, the project has been completed in accordance with the applicable building code.

Do you mean permit(s) for an addition? Will need more information for a more detailed answer but in general, less conditions you put on your listings, better or higher the % for you to find a buyer.
Best of luck.

Spirit