Can I list my property on your web site without a fee? and sell my own property without a real estate broker fee?

Asked by Iris, Wishram, WA Wed May 16, 2012

Answers

7
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed May 16, 2012
If you are a for sale by owner the post is not allowed, you can however try blogging about the property; if and when you do list with an agent, he/she can post it for you, ask; or consider any flat fee realty company that feeds into the site.
Some flat fee companies do list on MLS, and if listed on MLS a commission for the buyer's agent is offered--while some others are simply for sale by owner sites with no commission involved.
Flag Wed May 16, 2012
Thanks. Does a flat fee realty company mean that I could pay a flat fee for the multiple listing, and then I could sell my property by myself to eliminate paying a commission on the sales price to the real estate agent or broker? Regards, Iris
Flag Wed May 16, 2012
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Thu Jul 31, 2014
You will not be able to list your property on this site unless it is listed with a real estate agent.
Sharon Felton, Agent, Nashville, TN
Thu Jul 31, 2014
Selling your property through a licensed Realtor will cost you a commission, yes. But you will likely secure a higher price for your property, fewer frustrations, you'll understand all of the forms and documents you're asked to sign (or else you'll be sure to ask your Realtor for more information), the folks who come to view your home will be represented by a licensed agent and, in the end, the commission you pay will be worth it.
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Thu Jul 31, 2014
Okay, the first question is reasonable, but the second question indicates you are considering attempting a multi-thousand dollar transaction when you literally don't know the first thing about it (that yes you can sell property yourself without paying a broker). I hope that gives you second thoughts.

Before becoming a real estate agent I was a practicing attorney for 20 years and handled several sales in bankruptcy as the attorney overseeing the transaction. That experience was great, but not complete. Unless you are a real estate attorney, you will at a minimum need the assistance of an attorney. And if the buyer is represented by an agent, you will likely need to agree to pay their commission. Unless the buyer has their down payment, closing costs and commission available, the buyer would not be able to buy if you didn't pay the buyer's commission, and that would lower the demand for your property, and accordingly the price.

As to the seller's agent, in addition to their experience and expertise, you are also getting security in the form of a lock box (except some very low fee agents in the NWMLS--not sure about the RMLS). One of the very first blog pieces I wrote was about the importance of using a lockbox. For your own security you don't want to be letting people into your house by yourself without any screening.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/realestate/2007/09/19/electronic-s…
Cathy Titche…, Agent, White Salmon, WA
Wed Jul 30, 2014
Currently, you need to list your property with an agent to get into the RMLS system and/or many of these syndicated search sites, including Trulia. Being a For Sale By Owner property owner and trying to sell your real estate yourself, unless you've had a lot of experience in real estate and are up to date on the local laws regarding the transfer of ownership (disclosures, safety issues, proper forms, etc), is kind of like changing your own oil. Sure you can do it, but it's often faster and less costly to use a professional's services. Whether they will admit it or not, many FSBO sellers experience a lot of difficulty and frustration with the FSBO process simply because they think they will net more money by doing it themselves. It's more often the case that they unnecessarily expose themselves to litigation issues and they don't net as much as if they had used a professional real estate agent, brokerage fees included. Use a professional. You'll be way ahead. And I won't have to come behind you and clear up a tangled mess the next time the property sells. Been there, done that. Oh and by the way, if you don't have a will, get one. Everyone who owns real property should have a will that directs what happens if they pass away. Do your family and the rest of us a favor and make that a priority too. Thanks.
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Wed May 16, 2012
Iris,
The average for sale by owner listing sells for for 10% less then those listed by agents. Why do you want to do all that work, get less exposure, & put less money in your pocket. List with an agent! If you need a referral, let me know.

good luck., Jirius Isaac
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Wed May 16, 2012
Hi, Trulia is an agent only platform at this time. Anything listed on here must go through a broker.

Chris