CAN I LIST MYSELF?

Asked by Toby, Lackawanna, NY Sun Aug 15, 2010

I WOULD LIKE TO TRY TO SELL MY HOUSE MYSELF FIRST.

Answers

6
The Maxian C…, Agent, Williamsville, NY
Sun Sep 12, 2010
You can offer it for sale yourself, but why would you want to? You'll spend money up front for advertising, signs, etc., have to do all your own marketing and showings, and may ultimately have to hire an agent anyway (according to the National Association of Realtors, over 80% of those who try to sell themselves ultimately end up using a Realtor to sell. I would suggest interviewing some Realtors who are familiar with your area first. See what they have to offer. Let someone else spend the money up front and do the hard work! Besides, the market exposure when you use a Realtor is much broader than if you advertise yourself.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sun Aug 15, 2010
Toby,
I think that you should try it.
Interview three Realtors, compare their proposals.
Try it yourself, then it if doesn't sell, go to plan B
K.
Joe Sorrenti…, , Buffalo, NY
Sun Aug 15, 2010
The word "LIST" is greatly mis-used lately. To "List" your home typically means that you have engaged a real estate broker who is a dues paying member of the Multiple Listing System (MLS) thus your home becomes "Listed", in the "MLS", in the" Multiple Listing".

If you sell your house totally on your own, your house is in the "Classifieds". There are some brokers that offer to "list" your home in the MLS for a flat fee but you many times have to pay the advertising, hold open houses, get an attorney to draw up contracts etc. If you think you can do it yourself and don't mind the added liability, try it!

I can change my own oil but, I choose not to. The guys at Valvoline can do it in half the time and I don't have to get dirty. My vehicles are leased so, I also lessen my liability by having a reputable place do it for me.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Aug 15, 2010
Yes, you can try selling on your own--keep in mind to use caution when allowing strangers into your home and hide/remove any valuables you may have. If you are looking to list the property on Trulia--Trulia, does not allow for sale by owner posts, you can however try blogging about the property, or consider utilizing a flat fee realty company that feeds into Trulia.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sun Aug 15, 2010
Yes, you can sell your home by yourself. Some sites, including Trulia, accept real estate listings only from licensed real estate agents.
Colleen Kuli…, Agent, Amherst, NY
Sun Aug 15, 2010
Toby,

Any home owner can list their home for sale by themselves using many of the on-line resources available and place a sign in front of their home. I have several resources on my website that you may find useful. If we can be of assistance, please feel free to call us at (716) 650-0051.