Better to sale a house staged or empty?

Asked by Lee, 90603 Fri Feb 25, 2011

Do I get a house appraised before I choose a realator?

Answers

13
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Feb 26, 2011
Lee,

We would agree....for the most part, homes are percieved by the buyer is a more positive light when they are furnished nicely.

But we have seen a few occasions in which the home showed better empty. The property was clean fresh and allowed the buyers to visually place their belongings within the property, something all buyers eventually get to during the decision making process.

Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Fri Feb 25, 2011
Hello Lee,
A home always shows better when it is staged as that way the potential buyers can visualize how furniture can be arranged and for what purpose the room is to be used for.
I suggest that you interview a few local real estate agents in your area before you have an appraisal on your home. These agents can provide you with a comparable marketing analysis which shows homes similar to yours that are currently for sale and those that have recently sold in your neighborhood. This will give you a good idea of what your property might appraise for and the agent's reports are free.
Hope this helps.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Fri Feb 25, 2011
Simple answer : Always staged

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Gus Jacinto, , Whittier, CA
Mon May 27, 2013
Hello Lee,

Well although I agree with my colleagues about having some kind of furnishings to show the home, in our community of Whittier, CA homes are selling in Less than 2 weeks.. And the reason homes move here is because they are priced well. So my answer to your question would be that it is more important to Price your home correctly than it would be to stage your property.

Also, I do not recommend paying for any services before you know you will be able to recover the fee's, Appraisals can run you up to $700 plus depending on the property and if it has multiple units.

The best way to sell a home is by hiring a licensed Realtor® to Market the property, Make a FREE Market analysis (giving you comparables) and ultimately negotiate the Contract with you and get you the most for your property.

Need anymore information. I am a Realtor® in the Uptown Whittier Area. I would be happy to take a look at your home and give you an idea about how much you can probably get for your home.

Gus Jacinto
Coldwell Banker Alliance Realty
562.567.7653
UptownWhittierHomes@gmail.com
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Fri Apr 12, 2013
I vote for staged. But no need to go over board.

Simple furniture and fresh paint is the way to go.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Philip Cabral, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sat Dec 1, 2012
I am sure there are exceptions to the rule but I think most agents have experienced homes selling for more when staged.

Which comes first, an appraisal or a realtor? Realtors should be able to get you good comparables so you don't need to get an appraisal first.
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Fri Nov 30, 2012
I am a fan of staging.

No need to go overboard, furnish it lightly and add some nice accent pieces.

You do not need to spend money on an appraisa prior to listing your home. Your agent should be able to provide you with good enough comps to price your home correctly.

Much success to you!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Mon Feb 28, 2011
Hi Lee,
I vote for staging! It's actually amazing the difference it makes, even in a small house when a professional stager gets a hold of it. As far as an estimate of what the home should sell for, you can get that from your Realtor.
best of luck to you!
Robin Brooks, Agent, Austin, TX
Sun Feb 27, 2011
Hi Lee,

Go down to your nearest new home builders models and see if their empty. They won't be! They will be tastefully decorated to neutrality. The idea of staging is the give potential buyers an idea of what is possible as it never hurt to help people along on the road to imagination. You will also notice that the decor will be neutral, not reflecting any particular style. While staging in generally is a good thing if you inject to much personality you may end up turning off potential buyer because what they remember is "I wouldn't have done it that way" instead of the property itself. If your going to stage use a professional or ask your agent to help find a reputable one in your area.

Hope that helps,

Robin Brooks
Web Reference:  http://www.agentrobin.com
Bob Georgiou, Agent, Danville, CA
Sat Feb 26, 2011
Lee,

It is always better to have a home staged but there area exceptions to this rule. Staging is like icing on a cake it can hide small defects and improve the appeal of the cake/home but if the cake/home is no good to begin with, then go empty...

Why do you want to have the value of a home before you talk to an agent?
Web Reference:  http://bob2sell.com
dave, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sat Feb 26, 2011
lee,

the consenus seems to be stage a house. i am an advocate of properly staging a house to show off the space and warmth of a house when you are living there. However; (most home stagers will disagree with me) that if you are not living there anymore having the home empty is not a bad thing. It will allow the buyer to see how the house will lay out with their furniture and better visualize their items in the house.

I would contact a realtor first. Call 2 or 3 Realtors to get a fair anaylisis on your home. No 2 realtors are usually goign to come back the same. but if 2 of the 3 are in the same price range then you know that is where the house needs to be priced. In rare cases, where there is not enough comparables in the area for a Realtor to give you a true price then it might be worth having it appraised. but, only as a last resort.
Web Reference:  http://www.davedicecco.com
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sat Feb 26, 2011
Lee,
The home appears larger when empty. This is a plus
As long as the home is bright, clean, and priced right it will sell.
Consult with a Realtor....in most cases the Realtor will be able to provide you a market analysis as to where you home should be priced.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com
Starr, , Los Angeles County, CA
Fri Feb 25, 2011
A house will always sell better when it's staged, but you have to follow the guidelines of staging a house.