Best tips for FSBO's

Asked by Angela Stewart, Fresno, CA Thu Sep 8, 2011

I am selling my home on my own. What are some good tips to help me in the process.

Answers

5
Cherie Thoms…, Agent, Eugene, OR
Wed Oct 16, 2013
Disclosures and Protection.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Sep 9, 2011
Get as much advice as you can from professionals?
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri Sep 9, 2011
Abrookie,

We would recommend developing a marketing plan that includes advertising both locally and out of the area, paying a fee for having it included on the local multiple listing service, invest time preparing the home to be shown, arrange for open houses and to take the position of not trying to sell the home to every individual that walks through your door.

Knowing the area market and having an accurate appreciation for your competition can help greatly. Invest time becoming an expert on local real estate both on the market now and those that have sold recently.

Visitors want to see the home.....if they have questions they'll ask them. At some point you will get the impression if there is any genuine interest.

Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Thu Sep 8, 2011
Abrookie,
Read all you can. I agree with Derek that exposure is key; people don't buy what they can't see or find. You'll need to find someone to either write or at least review the contract. You'll need a disclosure statement which meets state standards. You'll need to know the rules of Fair Housing for advertising to ensure you comply and stay out of court.
I'd also recommend you consult with some local agents. First, if they know you are on the market, they may have a buyer. Second, if after trying it for a while on your own, you decide to list the home with an agent you'll have some options to consider.
I also want to point out some safety concerns. When I as an agent bring someone to a home, they are almost always pre-approved by a lender and cleared as a credible person who is capable of buying. As a FSBO, you'll be allowing strangers to tour your home without knowing their true intent. The majority will be interested buyers, but there are also drug seekers, petty thieves and con-men. One benefit of an agent is to minimize your exposure to these and to add a degree of safety for you and your family.
Derek Zasare…, Agent, saint louis, MO
Thu Sep 8, 2011
Exposure is the best key. Create a strong internet presence, keep the yard neat with curb appeal. Look for people in your community who recently sold, keep an eye on houses in your area that are for sale. Piggyback off of any open houses. TRAFFIC AS MUCH TRAFFIC AS POSSIBLE!