Home Selling in Charlotte>Question Details

Scott McClure, Real Estate Pro in Charlotte, NC

As a real estate agent, I am thinking of offering property management to my sellers. Are other agents finding that sellers need this service also?

Asked by Scott McClure, Charlotte, NC Sat Nov 19, 2011

Scott, I started doing property management in 2009. I have been managing my own properties for 12 years and have been declining managing for other people for several years. Finally in 2009, I had s few friends who wanted to buy investment property and told me they would only buy if I managed them. That started my business managing for others. As licensed real estate agent, we are trained as far as leases go but there is a lot of real world experience that is needed too in order to properly manage. Screening tenants is a big one. With so many sellers now in a negative equity situation, they are now turning to renting their properties instead. It is a bit of a headache but it brings in steady income in a slow market. If you have not managed before, I would go through training to do so. There is a lot to learn.

Good Luck if you decide to pursue it!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 20, 2011
I have been in Real Estate in one form or an other since 1993. From Investing, to Property Managment, and Realtor.

My wife and I have several rental properties, and my I suggest that you either be FULL time Property Manager, or NOT.

I do not manage my own rental properties, and suggest to other agents not do the same.

Find a PROFESSIONAL Real Estate managment company to handle Rental properties.

Good Luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
Scott, we have several agents in our office that have gotten their property management training. My husband may also do the same thing. I think it adds another dimension to your business and I think rentals are going to be a part of our business for a while. If you have the means to continue giving good service to your residental clients while maintaining your property management, I would say go for it!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
Scott I work with renters (that turn into buyers) and list my sellers homes for sale/rent on MLS but I have never wanted to do it as part of Distinctive Homes. It should be treated as 'full time/service' and there is much to learn about it to avoid legal actions. My concentration in residential sales keeps from learning more about property management--something I have no interest in. Having said that, it does keep the money coming in during the market lows and others have done well.
Good luck with your decision.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
The best property managers are those who get the training to deliver superior service and who treat Property Management as a full time business. The brokerage should research and maintain the Real Estate Commission required trust accounts for segregation and accounting of funds.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
Hey Scott,
If you don't want to deal with the stress and headaches from property management please keep us in mind. I'm with a company called ONEprop and we offer all realtors 50% of the first months rent for any referral we receive from the realtor. Also, once your customer is ready to sell the home we refer them back to you. "Guaranteed" Its a great way to make money from offering this service to your customer and not having to deal with the day to day of managing property. No rent collection calls, evictions, repairs in the middle of the night etc. Please call me so we can discuss this further.

George Jimenez
Oneprop of NC
(704) 202-8195
Scott, I have thoughts along that line as well for more of my clients need management help with their properties. I'd say, go for it. Do you know of a fast tract to get certified? That would be an important issue for me to know how much time it would take before being able to offer management services. Good luck.
Jean Griffing
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011