As a closing agent, I am handling a transaction in Palm Beach county, Florida. Seller selected my company to handle the transaction.

Asked by isabellestdenis, West Palm Beach, FL Sat Apr 27, 2013

The buyer has NOT elected to be represented by his own attorney to produce and coordinate the execution of his documents. Therefore, we are handling both sides. Since we don't for work for free, we charge a Settlement fee to both, buyer and seller for our transaction. Buyer's agent argues that, by law, we are not allowed to charge closing fees to her buyer and that we can only charge a Settlement fee/Closing fee to the seller. We've done more than 7500 transactions during the existence of our company and many of these transactions were in Palm Beach County. We have never heard of such a thing. In Palm Beach County, seller chooses the closing agent and pays for the Owner's Policy premium, however, buyer should also pay a settlement fee since we are producing and coordinating the execution of the buyer's documents. Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as buyer not paying a closing fee to the Closing Agent? Thank you

Answers

2
Bob Brubaker, Agent, Lake Worth, FL
Sat Apr 27, 2013
7500 closing tranactions and nobody else brought this " Law" to
your attention? This Agent clearly sees and hears things others
don't.! I never heard of a Real Estate Salesperson telling a Closing
Agent how a Transaction is to be closed! Try to keep cool
in Palm Beach County!

Bob Brubaker Highlight Realty Palm Beach County Fl. 561-876-6649
Web Reference:  http://pbc-realcam.com
Guy Gimenez, Agent, Manchaca, TX
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Always, always, always mandate that such a "by law" statement be followed up with written evidence of same. This, in itself, often corrects the problem since far too often agents often only repeat what they hear, which is often grossly inaccurate.

I don't know FL law, but never allow someone to tell you something is against the law unless they can back it up with hard evidence rather than just conjecture.