Are there many green agents out there? I keep hearing that this is the NEW thing and was wondering if there

Asked by Giselle, Germantown, MD Tue Mar 25, 2008

is a real value in it for my business and my customers?

Answers

19
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
There is real value in being sensitive to people's environmental concerns, without a doubt.

One of the most valuable CE classes I've had was a line-by-line review of a LEED application. No, it's not perfect, and as Moneyball points out, batting average isn't a perfect measure of a hitter's ability.

But builders who keep LEED certification in mind are giving thought to cutting environmental costs, which is so not a bad thing.
Rez Kodad, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Jun 10, 2008
Karen, you are right about Green is more in New Construction! However, you can modify an existing home to be a Certified Energy Star Home by modification to become Environmentally Efficient, by changing windows, appliances, flooring, lighting, Radon pump, insulation, and more! Living more efficient and environmental friendly would consider a Green Living or Green Homes! This is a long conversation which you know it can go many ways!

Check http://www.EcoBroker.com for Certifications!

Cheers,

Reza
Chris Highla…, Agent, Frederick, MD
Tue Jun 10, 2008
Giselle,
I recently ran into a LEED Accredited Architect and had an informative discussion about "green" certifications. She was telling me that unless you are building new construction, and mostly commercial, there is really not much "green" that you can do. The technologies aren't economically feasable for individual home construction. The most you can do is look into the energy star appliances.

The only real green thing to do with residential, is to reclaim and renovate the abandoned, dilapidated properties in some of our urban areas.

I was very appreciative of her perspective, because I think that there is a lot of hype out there that is not feasable. I am considering getting some kind of certification just to dispel some of the myths out there.
Diann Tonnes…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Mar 26, 2008
We just hired one of only two certified EccoBrokers in Las Vegas for our team, and had an amazing seminar on Green Real Estate in our office. This designation is not recognized for CE credits, she definitely got it because she is totally dedicated to the belief that we need to conserve our environment. I definitely think this is the coming thing, especially with fuel prices going through the roof and so many baby boomers retiring each year to a fixed income.
Miekeba Jones, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Tue Jun 26, 2012
Hi Giselle, Going green is big. I think your business will be very succesful.
ListedGreen.…, , Henderson, NV
Fri Apr 13, 2012
Search for Green Real Estate Agents Here : http://www.listedgreen.com/index.cfm/page/search-real-estate…
ListedGreen.…, , Henderson, NV
Mon Mar 19, 2012
ListedGreen.…, , Henderson, NV
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Tadas The Gr…, , San Jose, CA
Tue Oct 6, 2009
Well really... what's the answer to this when you listen to your heart Giselle? Would you do it to jump on the latest "green" fad or would you do it to spread awareness on how we can live more sustainable lives and be conscious of our choices, especially when it comes to buying and remodeling homes. The real "value" of this is for the planet. Whether all of your clients will care or not is another story. Here in San Jose, CA they are slowly starting to so I'm excited. I always say if you're passionate about it then go for it and if you’re not, then start! :-) Much success.
Web Reference:  http://sanjosegreenhome.com/
Julie Pearson…, Agent, Reston, VA
Tue Jun 10, 2008
Hi Annette! I consider myself a green real estate agent. I have a background in environmental science and worked in that industry for many years. In fact I still work in that industry part of my time. The challenge is that not many brokerage firms are "green", so most agents who are green are on their own. One way to distinguish yourself is to take the EcoBroker course and become certified.
Annette Burg…, , Rockville, MD
Mon Jun 2, 2008
Check out my suggestions for going green & conserving energy etc. save nature/Go Green
http://www.annettesellsmetrohomes.com
Karen, , Berkeley, CA
Mon May 12, 2008
I know about Green Key Real Estate in San Francisco.
Annette Burg…, , Rockville, MD
Mon May 12, 2008
I am most concerned about conserving energy and protecting the enviroment. Gorgeous Trees being cut down to make room for more roads and highways take away animal habitat and harm the environment . Where are the animals to live? Respect for animal habitat
and living in harmony with nature should command alot more attention than it does. Too many animals are killed needlessly on roads,squirrels,deer,birds daily because people are speeding to get somewhere, burning up fuel and gas. It is a nightmare! People must "SLOW down" on roads and learn to be respectful of all life-animals included.
This has to stop. All forms of life are important .
What future do our children and grandchildren have to look forward to, if we don't put the brakes on now!
Rez Kodad, Agent, Naples, FL
Sun Mar 30, 2008
Yes, Reza Khodadad is Certified Green Agent, providing accurate, timely, and relevant green market education to the real estate community by educating consumers about energy savings and environmental decisions in the purchase and ownership of real property.

Reza Khodadad
Real Estate Consultant
Certified Green Agent
Linda Carroll…, , Lacey, WA
Tue Mar 25, 2008
I am in the process of learning more about Green homes and building. There is a lot of resource here in Olympia/Seattle area. Of course, with any new trend, there are questions about what is actually best for the environment our health, and what is discovered to have little or unexpected effect!

Speaking of cars, I drive a 1991 Cadillac Sedan Deville. Some people think I drive it for political or status reasons. I do, but those people would be surprised at what those reasons are...

I get 30.1mpg on the highway(I have to stay under 60mph to do it) and between 22 and 18mpg in town.

The car was built 17 years ago, so no recent mining or manufacturing was necessary to keep me on the road.

I bought the car used, for cash, so it is recycled. No money went to finance companies, either.

It is American made, so I had no part in trade, tariffs, or using fuels to bring the car into this country.

I have had seeing eye dogs, deaf clients with interpreters, handicapped clients with crutches & walkers, and client family members with oxygen equipment ride in this car.

Thanks for listening!
Liz Montaner, Agent, Annapolis, MD
Tue Mar 25, 2008
I am a Green Certified Real Estate Professional. I recently attended what I believe is the only Green Real Estate Education Seminar currently sanctioned by Maryland Association of Realtors and earned my my Level One Certification. Very informative course.
Hi, , Virginia
Tue Mar 25, 2008
i like green houses
its my favorite colour

anyways

good luck
Marvin EMarv…, Agent,
Tue Mar 25, 2008
You may want to take a look at this ActiveRain post:
http://activerain.com/blogsview/390964/Are-you-a-Green

Personally, I think there is value if you really believe in being "green" and not just doing it as a marketing ploy. It would be hypocritical for some if they call themselves green and drive a gas-guzzling SUV (as someone commented in the AR post).

I wouldn't mind being certified as being green since for the most part I do my best to conserve the environment (e.g. fanatically recycle, print only when absolutely necessary, reuse paper & products, use green bulbs, drive only when I really have to, etc.) but I have/do some obviously non-green things (e.g. get many free magazine subscriptions, have a gas-guzzling SUV, can't wait till the hybrid Yukon comes out). So maybe I won't get might certification yet... :)
Web Reference:  http://www.EsenaiCapital.com
Chris Highla…, Agent, Frederick, MD
Tue Mar 25, 2008
I was hoping someone would ask about this. I've been wondering the same thing. I was just surfing the web about it last week. It's really big on the west coast, and I think its going to be coming here eventually. In a competative market, it makes sense that anything that makes a house stand out from the rest is something worth investigating.
The only thing is, there is so much hype about green technologies, sometimes the truth is hard to uncover. I would like to get some kind of certification if it doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't take a lot of time, and of course, if the designation is actually worth something, or recognized by anyone. Maybe we should see if our associations are considering classes in green certifications?