Are there any easy ways to make a home "green"?

Asked by Kristal Kraft, Greenwood Village, CO Sat May 19, 2007

Answers

5
Mitchell Hall, Agent, New York, NY
Sat May 19, 2007
There are many easy ways to be "green". Simple ideas that might actually save you money. Some simple things like unpluging "ghost appliances such as VCR or a coffee maker when you're not using them. Believe it or not, left plugged, these appliances take up energy. You'll actually save on your electric bill. And when buying appliances, look for the "Energy Star" label. Click below for more information, tips and useful green links.
Roberta Murp…, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Sat May 19, 2007
There are lots of ways to contribute to greener living and to make our homes more environmentally-friendly. We should all become more conscious of shaving our carbon footprints--and there are some easy solutions to do so. I have even learned to make peace with dandelions! Click on the link below to read more about this subject:
Leigh Brown, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun May 20, 2007
I think it's most economical to go green when you're building fresh-but as you update a current home, you can look for lowE windows, recirculating hot water, etc. And don't forget the outside-go for native plants and cut down on the amount of lawn space (it takes a lot of water and chemicals to make the green lawns we all seem to love!)
Trulia Roger, Home Buyer, Alameda, CA
Sat May 19, 2007
Quick wins: replace all your incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs (although you can't do that if your bulb is on a dimmer, sadly); use Energy Star appliances; turn off and unplug any unnecessary devices, including those "wall wart" power adapters; make sure your home is insulated from top to bottom; get an energy audit from a local contractor to see if your house is leaking heat (or letting heat in when your AC is running); replace all weather striping on your doors and windows to prevent drafts; install rain gutters and a rainwater reclamation tank in your basement and use that water for your lawns; use reclaimed or renewable materials for any home improvement projects (e.g. used hardwood floors, or countertops made out of a mix of recycled glass particles, which can look beautiful, etc.); use low volatile organic compound (VOC) paint.
Longer-term fixes include installing wind turbines and solar panels on your property.
This Old House magazine had an interesting, very detailed series about a full-blown green restoration project (link below). I hope this helps.
Courtney, , Oakland, CA
Fri Aug 3, 2007
My husband and I replaced all our old single pane windows and doors with double pane lowE windows. It has made a huge difference in comfort and in our electric bill.

We attended a Green home tour a few months back, and we saw a lot of innovative green building techniques. We saw a range of ideas, some easier to adopt than others but all educational. These builders/home owners also made design a priority. I posted some highlights and pictures on YellowBungalow. See link below.