Are real estate agents only allowed to sell homes in a specific county, or can I find one that can sell my?

Asked by Regina, 32680 Sun Jun 1, 2008

home in Dixie Co., FL, and then use them again to buy a home in Citrus Co. FL (or there abouts).? If this is possible, would I get a better deal on the commision I pay him/her? The commision part of the question really doesn't matter, just came to me while I was typing. The main question is using one agent for both transactions. Seems like it would be a lot easier. Thanks!

Answers

8
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sun Jun 1, 2008
Regina
Stop it. You are being penny wise and pound foolish.
What you need are area experts in both areas.
In principle having one Realtor handle both transactions would result in a smoother transition. However, most of us on Trulia would ask this" What is in the best interests of you, the client?"

In most cases, that means the Realtor best suited for the job. My guess is that agents from different counties would be best, although that is from my view in California. A Realtor with local expertise can usually save you time, money, and headaches...and stress.
Cathy Sloan, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Sun Jun 1, 2008
As Mott indicated, Realtors usually concentrate their expetise to specific geographic locations.

In addtion to the Florida Association of Realtors, Realtors must also be members of their Local Boards to efficiently list, locate and show real estate.

Citurs County Realtors are members of the Realtors Association of Citrus County and the Citrus Multiple Listing Service.

Dixie County Realtors are members of the Dixie, Gilchrist, Levy Board of Realtors and the Dixie Gilchrist, Levy Multiple Listing Service.

If you desire one Realtor, find a Realtor that holds membership in both the Realtor Associations and Multiple Listing services named above.

The Lockbox keys used by the different Multiple Listing Services are not normally interchangeable. Complete access to the MLS in each local board is generally reserved for the Membership.

Using one Realtor may be easier, but you may sacrifice expertise and efficiency if the Realtor you choose is not knowledgeable in both counties.

Best of luck to you.
Web Reference:  http://www.cathysloan.com
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sun Jun 1, 2008
HI Regina:

Yes, from the standpoint of having to deal with one person only, it might be easier.

However, you really should think about how to best utilize the Realtor's knowledge and experience in the specific area you are interested in (both selling and buyer) so you can get best services and advise for your selling and buying. If you have one good agent who is familiar with both places, then by all means, use that person. However, if you are only doing that for conveniences in processing a transaction, it might not make the most sense.

Realtors are used to dealing with different issues, communication is quite important in this business. If you do end up with one expert in each area, I am sure they will be able to guide you through on how to best manage both transactions (which you are going to have, two transactions, whether it's with one agent or two).

Sylvia
Curtis Becht…, Agent, Elk River, MN
Wed Sep 27, 2017
Real estate agents can represent anyone, anywhere in the state they are licensed in. I have listed and sold homes 140 miles away from my office. The commission is never set. That will be decided on by you and your agent when you sell.
To me, it is a huge benefit to have the same agent for both buy and sell sides. Why involve a 3rd party to help you purchase if you trust that same agent to sell your home? If they have a good marketing plan and are knowledgeable in the buying process, keep it simple during a stressful time.
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Sun Jun 1, 2008
Real estate licenses are issued by states and are valid anywhere within the state
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Jun 1, 2008
Regina,

As previously states, a licensed realtor in the state of Florida can practive anywhere in the state. However, this does not mean an agent living and specializing in Miami would be a good choice to represent your property in Panama City.

There are obvious limitations that would not benefit yout best interests.

good luck,
The "Eckler Team"
Century 21 Almar and Associates
Venice, Fl 34285
ecklerteam@comcast.net
941-408-5363
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Sun Jun 1, 2008
Like Don mentioned; the same is true in Florida. Real Estate Licensees are governed by the State and may operate anywhere in the State of Florida. Our office generally operates ands does business within a 10 square mile area. Aventura, Miami Beach, Surfside, Sunny isles Beach, Bal Harbour, Hallandale, Hollywood and nearby communities. Each community is unique and different. An agent in Dixie County may be an expert in that County, but know very little about Citrus County. Of course, it could potentially be beneficial to use the services of one agent- but not necessarily so.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Jun 1, 2008
There are both plusses and minuses.

Real estate agents are licensed by the state. So, for instance, I can represent anyone in the state of Virginia, even though I may only market in--and be familiar with--Northern Virginia.

So, one the one hand, it helps if an agent is familiar with pricing, communities, etc., in the area where he/she is operating.

On the other hand, you raise a good point regarding commissions. All commissions are negotiable. And, as a practical matter, many agents will offer a reduced commission if you're doing multiple transactiosn with them.

However, some agents tend to prefer being listing agents (selling your house) and other's focus on being buyer's agents (helping someone buy). If you go with a single agent (or team), you want one who does both...and, obviously, does both well. But there are plenty out there. Just probe this area when you're interviewing agents.