Tobie Ward,  in Phoenix, AZ

Anyone else having trouble getting feedback from showing agents?

Asked by Tobie Ward, Phoenix, AZ Thu Aug 30, 2007

Answers

20
Amy Jones Gr…, Agent, Chandler, AZ
Thu Aug 30, 2007
I usually e-mail a copy of the listing to the showing agent and as for feedback. I never call anymore as the response was so low and I understand why. When I'm showing multiple properties, it's hard to remember which one the listing agent is calling about. I get about a 75% return on the e-mail requests for feedback...much more effective!
Web Reference:  http://www.amysellsaz.com
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Thu Aug 30, 2007
All of our appts are made through a 3rd party call Centralized Showing Systems, or CSS. There is an option to send an email for feedback! I will make 1 to 2 attempts to get feedback through this angle. If no response. I will make a phone call. It is really hard to explain to a seller that an agent will not give them a response for feedback, after all it is a simple request. Oh well. It is what it is! I try to always give feeback when requested. It is very important for the seller.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Aug 30, 2007
I don't use homefeedback.com, I email the agent directly. I email first, and if I don't get a reply, I call the office and leave a message on voice mail.

My third attempt will be to an agent cell phone. At that, I know they have ignored my first attempts, and I am apologetic about bothering them on their cell, and explain that I am real need of help w/ feedback and thank them for their understanding about my persistence.

I take the email route first in approach, and I know it is the route to which I am most responsive. If you catch me on the phone and I am in the middle of something, I am likely to say, "the kitchen is too dated for them" politely, but briefly, so I can get back to my own agenda. With email, I will take the time to write out more info that will help the lisitng agent with their seller.

I have found the same works in reverse. I get more responses via email, and more detailed feedback.

I am curious to know if there is a difference in responses based on geography. Since I am on the east coast, just outside of NY, would that make a difference?
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Aug 30, 2007
YES...always....What has worked for me is a few things.
One...is I ALWAYS leave feedback for others. It pays to do this. Sometimes you can get the relisting off it.
Two...I state that in my request for feedback. I ALWAYS leave feedback for your sellers and KINDLY ask you do the same for me.
3. Encourage your office manager to make it office policy. Wouldn't it be nice if your office had the reputation of consistantly leaving feedback?
4. PLEASE....use the automated systems. I hate phone calls asking for feedback. That's old school unless there's some unusual need for it. These agents calling for feedback should be on the phone prospecting. To me this is a waste of time for both the calling agent and the agent who happens to answer. There's hardly a time that is a good time to catch me and ask for feedback on the phone. This is B or C time and should be avoided.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Aug 30, 2007
When wearing my buyer agent hat (I list more often than represent buyers), I am

1) More responsive to emails than phone calls - I can respond on my time schedule rather than when you call and I am in the middle of something.

2) More responsive to phone calls during ‘normal’ biz hours vs. evenings and weekends. Yes, I work eves and wknds and consider this a mandatory part of client excellence. However, I accept that as a client service necessity, and prefer non-essential, non-time sensitive calls to be handled during ‘normal’ biz hours. (I am very open to receiving time sensitive calls from Realtors eves and weekends! i.e. Offers, questions about a listing and they need to call back a client that night, etc.)

I try to make my requests for feedback via email or phone calls during normal biz hours. It doesn’t guarantee a response, but it shows respect for the buyer agent time and schedule.
J R, , New York, NY
Thu Aug 30, 2007
Greg, are you saying you are the listing agent and you ask the other agent's customer/client questions? Cause I hate it when the listing agent questions the buyers I'm bringing. I especially don't like it when listing agents suggest other houses to them, usually their own listings, and sometimes listings that I have already ruled out that aren't on our tour. Sometimes the feedback is "it just wasn't the house for them." I don't think with most houses it's a question of if it didn't have so much wallpaper, or if the kitchen wasn't dated they would buy it. Sometimes the house just doesn't "do anything" for the buyer.
MAP1922, Other Pro, Newport, OR
Thu Aug 30, 2007
If I understand your question correctly - you are the listing agent and you are trying to solicit feedback from the agents who have shown your property. In our business, courtesy goes a long way and I believe in the adage a kindness given is a kindness returned. Not to sound too corny, but my suggestion is to always call and say something to this effect, "Thank you for showing our listing _____ today to your customer. In order to assist our seller in properly evaluating the pricing we have on the property, we would be very grateful to know both yours and your customer's opinions on it. Your opinion is valuable to us and I'd appreciate knowing your thoughts."
Before I owned my firm, this is how I conducted my business as a broker and how I encourage my agents today. I have found that most brokers are more than happy to share their opinion - for better or for worse - and if you keep a sense of humor, making requests of this kind helps create some good business relationships. I hope this was helpful.
Tobie Ward, , Phoenix, AZ
Fri Aug 31, 2007
Wow ! Thanks for all the great info, I really think that email is the way to go, it might take a little longer but I have something in writing to send my clients, and I think that in itself is more powerful. thanks everyone!!!
Amy Jones Gr…, Agent, Chandler, AZ
Fri Aug 31, 2007
One more thing! My mailbox message says that "if you're an agent calling for feedback, please e-mail the listing to me and I will be happy to reply". Interestingly enough...only about 1 in 10 agents will take the time do this. This has eliminated the many voicemail messages I receive after showing properties all day requesting feedback. If I answer the phone when I agent calls...I'll ask the agent to e-mail the listing to me unless it is a property that stands out in my mind and this doesn't usually happen either.

An agent has to be a slightly more proactive to take the time to put together an e-mail request for feedback but it's much easier for the buyers agent to respond to. If the requesting agent leaves a message asking for feedback and the buyer's agent has shown multiple properties (which most are today)...now the buyers agent has several calls to make. Buyers agent must take down the numbers, look up the listing (if they can't remember it) and then return multiple calls, not a very good use of time.

So, as listing agents we could be more courteous to each other's time and stop leaving a request for feedback message, unless the buyer's agent has shown your listing more than once (then indicate that in the message!).
#1, , San Francisco Bay Area
Thu Aug 30, 2007
I get cals all the time. I try to answer them all but there are so many homes for sale, it is hard to answer them all. And when you show 30 homes in a day, it is hard to remember what home you showed.

Unfortunately, you have to show a lot of homes in this market... everything is for sale. If you pass one by, the buyer wants to know why.

Nature of the beast. I return many phone calls and emails every day but I am totally sorry if I can not be all things to all people. And I admit I am a bad Realtor in that I do not return all calls to agents that want input on their listings.

Not enough time in a day.
Tobie Ward, , Phoenix, AZ
Thu Aug 30, 2007
When you talk about the email requests for feedback are you all using homefeedback.com? i love the idea of leaving feed back at the home, that is awesome. I always give feedback when I am asked, and I typically show 10-20 homes a week.
Jennifer Mon…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Aug 30, 2007
I usually just give them a call on their cell phone. Most are very generous with their responses and I appreciate it.

I also make it a point to give thoughtful and detailed responses to those who ask for my feedback. If I'm previewing a home that is severely over-priced, I'll write down the price it SHOULD be on my business card and leave it on the counter. I've been thanked for this many times, as it goes a long way with their sellers when lobbying for a price reduction.

We're all in this together, right? We all benefit from taking a moment to be responsive to feedback requests.
Web Reference:  http://JennifersPdxHomes.com
David Dion, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Thu Aug 30, 2007
We average above a 60% feedback rate using http://www.homefeedback.com.

I sincereley hope this helps.
Sarah Hendee, , Arizona
Wed Sep 19, 2007
Yes.... Come on all, it's easy and isn't that what we need for our clients. Let all help each other out.
Deborah Engel…, , San Diego, CA
Fri Aug 31, 2007
I do exactly what Amy does (send the listing via email to the showing agent), after having little success with calls. I also have about the same response rate: 75%, so it's pretty good. When I get the response, I forward it to my sellers so they can see exactly what was said.
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Thu Aug 30, 2007
Many of the feedback requests are made by administrative assistants, not by the listing Realtor themselves. I have received multiiple feed back requests on the same showing by assistants calling me on my cell phone as well as my land line. Then calling me two days later, and four days later. I find these to be an intrusion and a waste of my time.

I hate to go on "caravan" because whenever I have done so, in recent years , I have had my cell phone and voice mail clogged for the next three days. This when I give the attending listing agents my "feedback" at the house in question both verbally and in writing on little cards they provide, and obviously had no client in tow with me on the Realtor Day tour!

Giving feedback makes sense for actual showings, with clients, less sense when I am previewing.
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Thu Aug 30, 2007
I place a call to the showing agent, leave a message if I get a voice mail. Then I usually follow up in 48 hours if I have not heard back. Another call is placed and usually we connect by the 2nd call. I ask for their feedback to assist in the sale and follow up.
Greg Kiely, Agent, Newton, MA
Thu Aug 30, 2007
I have amazing trouble getting feedback once I let the buyer and their agents walk out the door which is why I wont let them leave without asking them. As we walk around the property I never do the "flight attendant" routine where I point out the stove and tell them it's a stove, I make a point to ask pointed questions instead. I ask them which specific rooms they're looking for, or what type of kitchen feature they've liked the best. From there it gets easy to give your seller constructive feedback and you never have to worry about follow-up. It also makes you look engaging to the buyer.
Tobie Ward, , Phoenix, AZ
Thu Aug 30, 2007
Maybe I should rephrase that, Any creative suggestions for getting feedback from showing agents?
Paul Slaybau…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Aug 30, 2007
YES! With sellers climbing up my back for feedback, I leave messages at the office, on cell phones, and send emails. Agents with buyers in the car are simply besieged with feedback requests, so I don't really blame them for not providing it promptly. It is highly annoying however.