Any tips to increase traffic/interest in townhome that is for sale?

Asked by sally, 60517 Mon Jul 18, 2011

Hello-I'm looking for any tips to increase traffic/interest in my townhome that is for sale? Hoping to find some untouched resources. Thanks!

Answers

13
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Mon Jul 18, 2011
You may not want to hear this, (please don't shoot the messinger,) but the LISTING PRICE on your Townhouse is too high.
Yes, I do not know what that PRICE is, but I can tell you; it is too high.

When a house has not sold, 98% of the time, it is because of PRICE.
You may choose to sit on the other 2%, but the odds are with me.

Has your Realtor done a recent CMA to see where you stand?
You also need to look at the nearby LISTINGS; they cannot be used as Comp's, but they are drawing people away from your house.
Also, if you are prices slighly over a significant number, such as $355,000 or $508,000, you should consider dropping down below that threshold, ($349,000 or $498,000).

Good luck and may God bless
Bob Brandt, Agent, Schaumburg, IL
Mon Aug 25, 2014
Did it end up selling 3 years ago after you lowered the price?
Sonia Mansour, Agent, Downers Grove, IL
Mon Aug 25, 2014
Price reduction will help a lot. Every time a price is reduced it shows up on our hot sheets.
Patty Romero, Agent, Homer Glen, IL
Tue Jul 19, 2011
I also think the price must be too high........
Has your agent done a recent CMA?
Is the townhouse in need of any repairs and/or updates?

Look on line and see what others around you are on the market and look at the ones that sold in a reasonable amount of time, maybe you'll get some ideas....

I wish you the best!
Justin Ruzic…, Agent, Greenville, SC
Mon Jul 18, 2011
there are three important aspects to selling a house. Price, Price, Price. If you have that right you will get it sold, if you have that high the property wont sell..
http://blog.house-guy.com/2011/05/what-if-you-happens-if-you…

best of luck.
sally, Both Buyer And Seller, 60517
Mon Jul 18, 2011
Thank you all for your help. I think the price point is what is holding me up. Unfortunately I've gone as low as I can with pricing. Perhaps in another year (or??) the market will be just slightly better.

I did ask my realtor for pricing advice, but she only said the price I'm at is 'good'. Hmmm, much better advice here!!
Jessica Garc…, , San Antonio, TX
Mon Jul 18, 2011
1. Price the home competitively, this can be done by looking at the most recent sales (6 months or less).
2. Have an open house to increase foot traffic.
3. Post on craigslist and other free sites for maximum exposure.

Simple answer, but I hope it helps.
HawaiiConnec…, Agent, State of, HI
Mon Jul 18, 2011
I agree with both Olaf and Ron on their advice. Do whatever you can to make the home present itself in the best possible way and of course, be as realistic on the pricing as well. Realistic because whatever a buyer decides to offer on your home, it still has to appraise with the lender.

Many sellers feel an emotional attachment to their home so they will usually price it based on what drew them to buying the home and should also draw others to like it as well. However, that's not usually the case.

I'm assuming you are working with an agent and have undergone the initial brokers opens and open house events and found some interest but would like to see more activity. However, I don't agree with having an open house every Sunday. Mainly because that's when most other property sales are holding their open houses as well. If you want to do a Sunday because that's the best time for you, then consider times that are before the others (most are from 2pm-5pm in my area so I'd do mine from 12pm-3pm) or consider another day altogether.

In my experiences, buyers typcially will remember the very first and last home that they see for the day. So, make sure you clear the home of any personal items like pictures, trophies, awards etc, and try to present the home as an open canvas for potential buyers to imagine for themselves how they would decorate or model their potential home. Good luck.
Pat & Steve…, Agent, Westlake, OH
Mon Jul 18, 2011
I suggest that you talk to your Realtor about your listing price -- do you need a reduction? Is your competition listed lower than than your townhouse? Also, if your townhouse doesn't show well, you need to consider hiring a stager, if your Realtor isn't one. We recently sold a townhouse that looked like a new model home, but it was 14 years old.
Olaf Ulfarss…, Agent, Stuart, FL
Mon Jul 18, 2011
1. fix everything that is wrong with the house.
2. make sure house shows well/declutter/depersonalize and clean REALLY well.
3. make sure buyers/agents have good access
4. listen to your agent ... get real about pricing
J.V. Merando, Agent, Poland, OH
Mon Jul 18, 2011
Have Open Houses Every Sunday from 12-4pm Advertise them in your Local paper and Internet such as Facebook, Craigslist, etc. Have everyone that comes to your open house Sign in with Name, Number, and E-mail. If you have business cards make sure you give them one along with a print out of information on your home. Always call and e-mail them back in 2 days no matter if they seemed interested or not in your Property.
ivonnerealtor, Agent, Bal Harbour, FL
Mon Jul 18, 2011
Hi Tina,
Try craigslist.com, backpage.com and vflyers.com
Good luck to you!
Ivonne
Majestic Properties
Miami Beach,fl
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Mon Jul 18, 2011
The touched resources still work exceptionally well.
Aggressively price the listing of your property.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com