Kate, Both Buyer and Seller in 94582

Any tips on selling an historic home (1790)?

Asked by Kate, 94582 Tue Jul 7, 2009

I know this isn't the best time to sell for anyone, but we must relocate due to a job change. Our house (4 bdrms, 3.5 ba) is almost 3500 square feet, has random width floors, a walk-in fireplace, exposed logs, posts and beams, a 22x24 great room with vaulted wood ceiling and skylights and we renovated our PA stone bank barn into a skylighted recreation-party room with a loft office. The house is on 1.25 acres with mature landscaping. We hate to leave it!

Answers

8
I agree with Fred Griffin. It's best to find someone who knows historic homes. Preferably someone who has owned one or two in their time, for the knowledge gained by experience.

Find the agent who has a very aggressive marketing campaign geared for historic homes. (Ex: Advertise at Thisoldhouse.com and the periodical of the same name, the local historic clubs/societies, etc.). The reason that any house sells is because the right person saw it. Advertise, Advertise, Advertise!
Hi, Kate!

How is the sale of your home coming along? Has it sold? Looking at the photos, it is a very nice home.

Were you able to find an agent that is knowledgeable about historic homes? I am quite familiar with that area. There are very many historic homes there and it is a very nice area.

If you need assistance, contact me. I will be happy to assist you.

Good luck in your future endeavors

Brigita

Brigita McKelvie, REALTOR, e-PRO, GRI
Residential, Rural and Horse Properties and Farms
Pennsylvania license #RS297130
Keller Williams Real Estate, Bethlehem, PA
Office: 610-867-8888 Direct: 610-393-9424
E-mail: brigita@brigitamklv.com
Web: http://www.brigitamklv.com
Blogs site: http://activerain.com/blogs/brigitam
Thank you all for your advice and input. I have attached a link to some photos of the house and have started to investigate real esate agents and their areas of expertise.
Hi Kate,
Your home sounds like the perfect match for Carol C. Dorey Real Estate with over 30 years in the business! We specialize in Historic Homes. Please take a look at our website to compare some of our listings to yours.
I would love the chance to talk to you about our marketing plan and how to sell in this market.
Please feel free to give me a call.
Take care,
Katie Werner
Carol C. Dorey Real Estate, Inc.
215.802.1933
Hi Kate,

I would love to take a look at it for you. I am a specialist in your area and have experience in historic homes and homes of value.

It sounds like a unique home that needs some special advertising. It is all about the internet these days and I have a terrific, results driven marketing program that can help you.

Feel free to contact me to set up a time for me to share my marketing plan with you.

Sean LaSalle
Weichert Realtors
610-737-5369
Hi Kate,
I agree, you need an agent and real estate office that has knowledge and experience in selling historic homes.
Our office is known for the sale of farms and country properties for over 30 years. We are located on the Berks/Lehigh/Montgomery Co. line. I have listed and sold numerous historic farm homes, in fact I have one currently listed that is stucco over stone on 14 acres. Because you do not have enough acreage to attract someone with horses, marketing needs to be directed to the homes amenities and character. I would be happy to meet with you. Please feel free to contact me.
Bev Kalb
Century 21 Longacre Realty
610-845-6000 x 208 office
610-442-6897 direct
http://www.century21longacre.com
Hi Kate,

Can you post a link to some photos of it? When do you plan on listing it?
You need a Real Estate Broker that specializes in the sale of Historic Houses.
Historic homes present a number of issues, specifically financing, appraisal, and inspections.

You might start your search for such an Agent by contacting the people behind this Website.
Ask them for referrals to Agents that specialize in the sale of historic houses.

http://www.oldhouses.com/

----------------------
Best wishes to you,
Fred
--------------------