After the death of a parent, do you have to transfer the deed into your name before you can sell house? Property was left to son in a will.

Asked by Shaw438, Philadelphia, PA Wed Aug 31, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jeannie Jarr…, Agent, Manassas, VA
Sat Oct 22, 2011
First let me say that I am so sorry for your loss. I would suggest contacting a Real Estate attorney for legal advise but to my knowledge you don't. Good Luck with everything.
1 vote
Larry Lichtm…, Agent, Bala Cynwyd, PA
Wed Oct 19, 2011
Hi Shaw,

No you don't have to transfer the deed. Usually the heir, or another relative, will be named administrator (or Executor) for the Estate of...(the deceased) and the property can be sold by the Estate. The heir will then pay inheritance taxes upon sale before the proceeds are distributed to heirs. If the deceased parent lived in Philadelphia, you can go to the Register of Wills office in City Hall and they are very helpful walking heirs through the process to probate the Estate.

Hope that helps. Please feel free to call me with any other questions.

All the best,
Larry Lichtman
REALTOR, Property Manager
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
Cell (267) 254-7994
1 vote
Mother is still alive she has dementia and needs the money from sale of the house for her care it is not
an inheritance case
Flag Wed Feb 8, 2017
Marieraushi, Home Owner, Philadelphia, PA
Wed Apr 23, 2014
If a parent dies and there is a mortgage are we responsible for it? My husband is already on deed and we already had to put funeral on credit cards... Help!
0 votes
, ,
Wed Oct 26, 2011
I am fairly sure that a property inherited by a will has to go through probate. But yes I believe you do need to transfer the title. If the property is held by a trust, then the trust would still own the property and then you might not have to do anything. Either way you need an lawyer for direction on this as it is a legal question.
0 votes
Greg Gibbs, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Tue Oct 25, 2011
I feel your pain. My last surviving parent passed away this year too. I hope time heals you. This question is best answered by a real estate attorney. Ask about holding the house in a trust and if you have siblings be certain to involve them as well. I have had clients fight endlessly over possession and the division of all the goodies left when parents pass on. Be sure everything is written down. Verbal agreements have a life of their own and the results are seldom good.
0 votes
Tearsha Free…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri Oct 21, 2011
Hi Shaw. I apologize for your loss. I recently Lost my mother and have had to do some of these things. I would suggest to call and ask an attorney all the questions you can think of prior to making any major decisions.

I hope all goes well!!
0 votes
Kathleen She…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Tue Oct 18, 2011
First of all, the assistance of an attorney who does estate work will be beneficial, and should be contacted by the person appointed Executor of the Will.

As to transferring the title before selling, it may not be necessary, nor the best course of action. If it is necessary to transfer the title before selling, be sure to contact a title company or an attorney who will check for any unpaid liens or mortgages. Hiers often make the mistake of transferring the the deed themselves, only to find out later that they have become responsible for mortgages, taxes and other unpaid liens.
0 votes
Bruce Lang, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Tue Sep 13, 2011
You need to have the property probated. please consult an attorney or call philadelphia orpahns court and they can walk you through the process.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Sep 1, 2011
Sorry to hear about your loss. At this point, it's really in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in Trust and Estates...
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more