Visualize, Home Seller in Fairview Park, OH

After 1 month on market with no result what should I expect from my realtor?

Asked by Visualize, Fairview Park, OH Sat Aug 8, 2009

My home has been on the market for 30 days and my realtor has spent 2 hours on 1 open house and has done one showing. Other than posting it on the website... I am not sure he is working to sell the property for the commission he will be seeing.

Answers

6
I am responding with a Greater Cleveland Area viewpoint. In our area, 90% of buyers shop on the internet before they decide to view a home, so don't ask for ads in newspapers. Just make sure that your Realtor is marketing your home on multiple real estate web sites.

Have you priced your home based upon comparable sales in the past 90 days? Have you priced your home based upon your competition (other homes for sale in your area of Fairview Park, in similar condition, with similar amenities & updates)? Did you & your Realtor totally agree on the list price?

My suggestion is for you to have a discussion with your Realtor about a price adjustment. With only one showing in 30 days, my guess is that your original list price is too high. Your Realtor has done his job in the first 30 days. If you have questions or issues, contact your Realtor to discuss them. That's why you retained him.
When a home is put on the market, you can expect the greatest amount of interest from buyers in the first 30-45 days.In today's market after 30-45 days if interest falls off maybe it's time to consider lowering the asking price.This should encourage buyers to contact your agent.
Hi, it all depends...hate to say it that way, but its the truth...
If your home is similar to many others in Fairview, there's 38 that sold since June 1 out of 187 total available and the average is $63 per square foot!, the prices are so competitive! The market today overall, in most of Cleveland's suburbs averages 6 months ....the market only seems to react when a home that is FABULOUS gets priced UNBELIEVABLY...it seems like the good house at a good price doesn't always sell, and today's buyers watch so much HGTV that they think they should have flawless!

Also, a realtor does a LOT behind the scenes: phone calls, marketing materials for brochures, postcards to the "move-up" market, and MANY internet sites (my company's site links to over 750 other sites!!) ....so when you realize that the Internet is key, you may be ok...

The internet ALSO gives you FIRST showings, so your amount of inconvenience is reduced, in terms of having people tramp thru your home without serious interest....When the "first showing" is on the internet, the REALLY interested people view your home in person the 2nd time!! so they really are interested.

It sounds like your real issue may be with communication with your agent....perhaps they could give you the internet results (the amount of hits per week on your listing)...

Best of luck. I have a home in Fairview and if the prices are competitive and the home is staged well, it will sell...you just have to wait for the right person, and the average is about 6 months these days!

thanks,
Maggie
Maybe the question is - what should your agent expect from you........

Did you list the house at the price that was suggested? Did you make any repairs or updates that were suggested? Is the home easy to show - does it show well? Are you priced to sell.... or priced to sit? Is your list price helping other homes sell??

All the marketing in the world won't help an overpriced home sell..............or a home that doesn't shine and sparkle in this highly competitive market. I am just posing these questions, as I don't know your home or what you specific situation is.

You certainly had the right to request a detailed marketing plain. If you had one, you could see that it was being followed. 30 days on the market is not a long time. Ask your agent what the average days on market are in your area.
Have other agents shown the home? If so, what was the feedback? Are other homes in your same price range selling or sitting?

You didn't hire your agent to sell the house himself, you hired him or her to market it, and encourage showings.

Bottom line is...why not sit down and ask your agent the very question you posted here! Ask them what other efforts they are putting forth on your behalf.

Best wishes.
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Visualize,

Many sellers request a written account of their agent's comprehensive marketing plan prior to listing their property with the agent/company.

It may seem a little like, "closing the barn door after the horses are already out" but you might consider requesting this account at this time.

Without making excuses, it sometimes takes 2-3 weeks for the wheels of marketing to be implemented. Our recommendation is that if the agent has not contacted you regularly to update you on activity on the home, you should consider initiating this yourself, demonstrating your interest in the home's activity.

One of the biggest things that your agent should be doing is marketing your home. Make sure that they have ads in the papers, have brokers open houses where agents from the area can tour your home, and most importantly make sure that it is getting exposure on the internet such as Realtor.com, trulia, zillow etc. Not only should they be marketing your home on the internet, but they should be enhancing the listings to make them stand out. Pricing the home correctly is also a part of the marketing. If it's not priced right for the area then the showings could be few and far between.