After I accepted bid, buyer sent engineer.

Asked by Dbny17, Staten Island, NY Fri Sep 20, 2013

Then we went back and forth on price till we finally agreed. Now they want another engineer to look at it again. Must I agree to this?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


, ,
Sat Sep 21, 2013
If it is the same type of engineer and they are looking at the same issue, then no, that problem has been addressed, maybe… Most people do not buy or sell homes very often, don’t get much practice as a result of gaps between transactions, so they get “squirrely” for lack of a better word. Your question does not give specifics about the nature or seriousness of the original issue. My guess is the buyer negotiated with you on price of the home instead of actually addressing the issue and getting it fixed. After that, they discovered lowering the price doesn’t give them the money to fix the problem. I suggest this as a possibility because I have witnessed it a hundred times and those incidents started out like your question. If it were me selling the home I would ask for more information before allowing access to it. You deserve as much information as they do access.

The problem is symptomatic of a buyer that has looked slightly above their budget line and resources and are now trying to figure out how to make it work. So ask questions first, good luck,

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
I answer questions about financing real estate based on my decades of experience dealing with mortgage underwriters. I do not offer legal or tax advice, if you need answers from an attorney or CPA find one knowledgeable in your local market.
Web Reference:
1 vote
Thank you so much, but no there was no problems with the house, so now we are a little confused??? Am I right to refuse this once again?
Flag Sat Sep 21, 2013
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Sep 21, 2013
Without much information, you don't have to agree; however if there is a good reason for the second inspection why not allow it; what is your agent and ir attorney advising...
1 vote
Michele Wils…, Agent, Lake Forest, IL
Sat Sep 21, 2013
Most contracts allow the buyer a period of time to have various inspections done to the home they plan to buy. Most if not all of these are paid for by the buyer. If these inspections fall outside of the allotted time frame, you do not have to agree to them, but, you risk losing the buyer.
1 vote
Judith McKen…, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Fri Sep 20, 2013
Good Evening, No you do not have to agree to a second inspection...... you have the option to say yes or no!

Most of the Staten Island Agencies have a 10 day grace period for the purchaser to hold an engineer/termite inspection, possible negotiation (if inspection has issues) and review of contract. If your home is off the market for longer than 10 days you are at jeopardy.........

You agreed to a home inspection and it was done, both parties negotiated the inspection.....if the buyer is still not sure and wants to hold another inspection prior to signing contract....I would suggest going back on the market and continue to show the home. Let the buyer hold this inspection on their time not yours!! If you happen to get another buyer for the sale of the home go back to the first buyer and give them another option or right to refuse to move forward!

My answer is based on two similar experiences that had just occurred recently...... my seller client was OFF the market for two/three weeks in hopes of the buyer moving forward and in both cases the buyer walked away from the deal hence the seller lost three crucial weeks in a very busy market!!!

I hope this helps......and good luck!

1 vote
Sorry Judith. Thanks .
Flag Fri Sep 20, 2013
Thank you Jill. Your answer was very helpful.
Flag Fri Sep 20, 2013
Jill Subes, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Fri Sep 20, 2013
If they are paying for it you might as well have it otherwise they will probably back out of the deal Did they give a reason why they want to use a 2nd engineer? If they are paying for it you might as well because it you don't allow it they will probably back out of the deal
1 vote
Deborah Brac…, Agent, STATEN ISLAND, NY
Sat Sep 21, 2013
No, its up to you if you want to continue with this buyer or stay on the active market to pursue another buyer. However, whatever the "issue" is may also resurface with the next buyer. So either way it"s possible you may have to address the "problem" before proceeding with any buyer.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more