my mother passed several years ago and just now finding out about real estate she owned i need to find out what happened to her house?

Asked by snspeck69, Oklahoma City, OK Fri Jun 8, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Bill Hayden’s answer
Bill Hayden, Agent, Edmond, OK
Fri Jun 8, 2012
Hello, the best place to find out this information is at the County courthouse at the Clerk's office where your mother's real estate holdings were located. You are wanting to ask to see the appropriate book of records which will have all of the deeds and other public records associated with the home recorded. Provided all of the owners since your mother had the deeds et al recorded.

You can also ask to find out who the current owner of record is paying the property taxes. We as Realtors can do this for you if we have the address of the property. However, many times the Owner of Record is a trust, Investment company, etc. Also, several counties now have their records online and you can search for the information yourself. Be careful though because there are some sites that look like the counties, but are actually paid search companies.

From your question I'm under the impression your mother may have had more real estate holdings than just her home. If this is the case, you may want to go to the expense to contact a local Abstract and Title company to do a search for your mothers' properties. Most of them have an attorney on their staff who will provide an opinion on the properties, including other rights that might be disclosed by the abstract. Just ask them for an estimate to give you an idea of the costs.

Hope this helps you and good luck. Should you have any questions or concerns, please give me a call 405 - 562 - 0886 or e-mail
0 votes
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Fri Jun 8, 2012

1. Has your mother's estate been probated?
2. Do you have any siblings?
3. Was your mother married when she passed?

Please click on my "Contact" link at the top right and feel free to contact me. If your mother's will has not been probated I can refer you to an attorney I do a lot of work w/ to help you out in that case. Also, I will need your mother name to begin looking at the county records and pull title for any liens on the property, i.e. city having to mow, unpaid gas bills and etc.

Look forward to helping,

Josh Barnett, Realtor
Metro First Realty
Web Reference:
0 votes
Carolyn Sims, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Fri Jun 8, 2012
If you have the address, you can look at the county clerk's website for that county, type in the address and see who currently owns the property. For more information on buying, selling or investing in real estate, you can contact me at 405-808-7922 or visit my website at
0 votes
Taylor Davis…, Agent, Norman, OK
Fri Jun 8, 2012
If you know her address or what legal name she used you can find out a lot by going to the county assessors website. If it was in okc the county should be Oklahoma county. That web site is
Without knowing more information I can't tell you what has happened. If no one paid the taxes in the last 3 years it was most likely sold at a tax sale.

If you would like more personal assistance please feel free to call me at 405-293-2894 or email

Best of luck,
Taylor Davis
Dillard Group Real Estate
0 votes
Wells Bridge…, Agent, OKC, OK
Fri Jun 8, 2012
I'll be happy to check on it for you. Please contact me with the property address and her name.


Bridgett Wells
Keller Williams Realty
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more