Home Ownership in 76137>Question Details

lynnd09, Home Owner in Fort Worth, TX

can i legally pack the belongings of a guest if they won't get out of my home in tarrant county tx?

Asked by lynnd09, Fort Worth, TX Sun Mar 16, 2014

Good luck. Your unwanted guest could move your belongings as well and not be arrested since nobody knows what is yours and what is theirs. No legal advise is given or implied. Call an attorney. Call the police if they ever get physical.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Follow the guidance already provided.
None of the following should be considered legal advise.
I'm not an attorney, nor do a play one on TV.
For legal advise you MUST contact an attorney licensed in Texas.

Make certain nothing is received through the mail that has your guest name and your address on it.
Put a lock on the mailbox or a hold at the post office. You REALLY need to see everything that arrives FIRST! When mail is received with the guest name and your address, you are in deeper trouble. A skilled squatter knows this.

If you do not follow the legal process, and choose to box the stuff and put on curb, and change the locks, and as a result your guest encounters some harm, your deep troubles turn into unimaginable troubles.

Proceed with caution.
Packing the stuff and placing the boxes on the bed upon which sleep occurs might communicate your wishes clearly. REPEAT the Process daily. Try to regain possession of THAT key.

You may find it necessary/beneficial to invite a "witness" who has known you a while, to visit you for a season, before the show starts.Make sure they are aware of potential hostility. That is why we all rely on BIG Brothers!

Unfortunately, it is most likely there will be an attorney in your future. Now is a good time to start collecting references.Your REALTOR may have an attorney to direct you towards.
What you can do and what you can legally do are two different things. There can be repercussions for not following the law. This scenario may not be as cut and dry as it seems, its really up to what the TX law says about it. In FL for example if you let a guest stay for even as little as a few days they can become a tenant even if they have no lease and pay no rent. Each scenario is different, and I am guessing since you want to pack up the guests stuff that you already asked he or she to leave and they refused. Another option is call the police and see what they say, they will tell you if she can be removed or not from the home. But if they say its a civil issue then you would have to follow the eviction process just as if she or he was a tenant.
thanks, I will do that
Flag Sun Mar 16, 2014
You may want to call the police and see what they have to say. Unwanted guests may become trespassers after a while. I don't know the law in TX, but it couldn't hurt.
ok thank you
Flag Sun Mar 16, 2014
The guest is not a tenant, she just moved alot of her stuff in and now wont leave, nothing signed and no money exchanged. Can I pack up her things, it is all in my way?
You need to review the Texas Landlord Tenant Law. I've attached a link for you. If they are a guest, the situation may be different than if you have a tenant. The specific definition is contained in the link.
the guest is not a tenant and has a key, so can I just get boxes and pack up her things, then maybe she will get the hint?
Flag Sun Mar 16, 2014