Here are some basic pointers:
1) Any time you purchase a major appliance, make sure it is an "Energy Star" type product.
2) Switch all your old light bulbs for the new "CFL" energy saver bulbs.
3) Make sure all your windows and doors are property insulated. Check for drafts and seal them us post haste.
4) Turn off all lights that are not in use.
5) Lower the heat setting on your hot water heater to the lowest level.
6) Get a programmable thermostat and make sure it is lowered whenever you are not at home.
Those are the basics. I hope you get a bunch of responses with more creative ideas!
Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783