I recently changed to my married name with the SSA. Do I have to change the name on my deed and mortgage or can I keep my maiden name?

Asked by Nina Kholodenko, Brooklyn, NY Fri Aug 16, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Nina Kholode…, Home Owner, Brooklyn, NY
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Thank you for your reply.
1 vote
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Aug 16, 2013
You can keep the name that you used to receive the deed and take out the mortgage. You could do a legal name change http://www.nycourthelp.gov/namechangeinfo.html and record it, but realistically, changing your name isn't going to be a problem with title and mortgage.
1 vote
Thank you so much!!!
Flag Fri Aug 16, 2013
Luke Constan…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Dear Nina,

You can keep your name on the deed if you like, as long as you keep the name change document. I myself would change the name on the deed and mortgage along with everything else... Just for piece of mind. It's not really hard to do.

Luke Constantino
Keller Williams Real Estate
9120 4th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
Direct: (212) 300-3919
Office: (718) 954 8400
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more