Home Ownership in 60657>Question Details

Laura, Home Buyer in Kirkland, IL

I'm looking to purchase a home that is 150 years old. Some bedrooms have closets some do not. I know back then they didn't always have a closet.

Asked by Laura, Kirkland, IL Tue Sep 2, 2014

The appraiser is calling some rooms dens, sitting rooms or pantries. Is there such a thing as Grandfathered in?

No closet requirement in the City of Chicago or most municipal codes that I am aware of
A closet is however required under some Federal Housing subsidy programs
It just needs to have a source of natural light to be a bedroom. It doesnt have to have a closet.
Laws vary state to state - here in Florida a bedroom has to have a closet.
There is no grandfathered in buildings or rooms. Bedrooms have to have natural light and not necessarily a closet.
Are the rooms large enough to build a small closet in order to meet the requirement?
"Back then" folks were taxed by the number of rooms in the house. So closets disappeared and built in clothes storage systems were created which was expanded to include a nail on the back of the solid wood door.

"Back then" that seemed to be more than adequate for the stuff they felt was needed.

If you are one, or are able to find folks, who can live within their needs, for them closets are an extravagant waste.

I am comfortable with my extravagance.

Today, taxers are more interested in size, conditioned space, effective space and wet sites, not closets.
I would definitely question that. While plenty of people seem to think that a room *must* have a closet to be a bedroom I don't think that's so. When I researched it I found that the givens were a window and its own means of egress - in other words if it was a "captured" room it wouldn't count. So if you had to go through one bedroom to get to another only one could count as a bedroom. Those criteria seem much more important than a closet.

I once sold a house with NO closets in the bedrooms. There were three or four bedrooms but only wardrobes for clothes. Worked just fine.
In the huge MRED MLS that I think you are in, bedrooms are not required to have closets for bedroom counting rules. Either way, you can sleep there.
The terms and standard concept for a bedroom is not something that can be grandfathered in. That term is used when a city has new ordinances that an older building cannot meet. Today's buyers do expect a bedroom to have a door, window and closet, so you do have to go with expectations for something like this.
The rooms have a window and a door. The only thing I can think of is no closet but back then they used armoire s. Tysm for your response Dorene
Flag Tue Sep 2, 2014