Home Insurance in 66549>Question Details

Gehrtgirl, Other/Just Looking in 66549

irecently divorced and the court awarded me the house and its indebtedness. i want to change my house insurance to a different company. the current

Asked by Gehrtgirl, 66549 Tue May 11, 2010

house insurance company will not cancel my policy, as they say my ex-husband is still legally liable for the house. the current house insurance company is owned by my ex-husbands family. is that legal?

Help the community by answering this question:


Sounds confusing alright. If you have an insurable interest, house title is a good example, and can prove it, you should be able to buy insurance. The"family" as you say, may be insuring your ex-husband''s interest, whatever that may be. Get a copy of the policy and see what it says. Call the company for a duplicate of the policy. Your mortgage company (the indebtedness) will want evidence of insurance, with them named as a mortgage interest. Make sure their name is in the policy. Also, Be careful what you wish for. SOmeone must be paying the premium.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 12, 2010
I recommend checking AAA, the autoclub for homeowners insurance. They offer low rates and should you need to collect on a claim they will be there at that point. Make sure to check the "rating" of the insurance company you are planning to switch to.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 12, 2010
Did you send them a copy of the divorce agreement and other paperwork showing them you are the owner. Also check around and get quotes from other insurance companies. If your current mortgage is in both names you need to refinance and get the mortgage into your name only. Mortgage companies can still try to go after him if his name is on the mortgage. It appears they are still trying to protect his interest since the property may still be showing up joint ownership.

Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 12, 2010
Is your house "only" in your name? Is the mortgage only in your name? Did your divorce require you to "refinance" the mortgage so it is only in your name?

Sounds like a clear conflict of interest if you have a court order granting you sole ownership of the house.

Contact the attorney that represented you in your divorce and she can help you. If you did not have an attorney representing your interests then you may need to hire an attorney asap.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 11, 2010
For legal advice, your best source of information is your attorney--consult with an attorney and see exactly what options you may have.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 11, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer