Will the insurance company drop my policy and can the mortgage take my home if I leave it empty for more than 30 days?

Asked by lylestyle, White Salmon, WA Sat Nov 9, 2013

I am going on vacation to Baja this year for 37 days. My home will be vacant while I'm gone. I shut off the water, elec, etc. I am told that my insurance company is could drop me? Also someone else said my Mortgage company could come take the house if it was empty? I went last year for 28 days, no problem. My cat was still here, I had a friend come by and check the place once a week.

Answers

5
Donald Stevens’ answer
Donald Steve…, Agent, Fontana, CA
Tue Nov 12, 2013
Your insurance can drop you if there is a 30 day vacancy clause in your contract. There is a clause in your policy that addresses the issue and it may be more or less than 30 days but 30 days is the most normal time frame. If you tell your insurance company of your intentions to be gone for 37 days instead of 30, they may be willing to give you a temporary extension. The bank will not take your home if its empty but they could put insurance on your home if your policy lapses. That insurance is very expensive and doesnt offer hardly any coverage at all except the coverage the bank needs to protect the loan. No personal property, no liability. Give your company a call and get something in writing. Good luck.
Belal Mohd, Agent, Rego Park, NY
Sat Nov 9, 2013
That does not sound right, may not be even legal for bank or insurance companies to do something like that. There may be a residency clause in some primary residence mortgage note or insurance policy but that simply can not affect vacations. People go on vacations all the time and sometimes it is more than 30 days.
Fred Herman, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Sun Nov 10, 2013
"I am told that my insurance company is could drop me? Also someone else said my Mortgage company could come take the house if it was empty?"

what planet do these friends live on??? send them then back before 30 days or we may get stuck with them on planet Earth.

a vacation is not limited to less than 30 days by your mortgage or insurance company. your vacation limit is solely based on the amount of cash you have to spent.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sun Nov 10, 2013
Lyle,
????? How would we know what your policy states? READ YOUR POLICY.
-
Here is what I do know in a generic understanding of how many homeowner policies work.
-
YES, your insurance CAN be cancelled if the home is left vacant.
However, going on vacation is not what we are talking about. VACANT is when the home has been emptied of furnishing and no one lives there. In that situation, if the insurnace company finds out your home is void of furnishing and no one lives there, the policy can be cancelled, even if you are making your payments The lender, who requires the insurance to be in place, will, after a period of warning, begin foreclosure.
-
On a more sinsiter note, the insurance company may allow you to keep making payments. If, at the time of a claim, the house is discovered 'vacant' by my defination, your claim willl be denied and all you may be entitled to is the payments made after the time you notified the insureance company the house was vacant.
-
Yoiu should consider leaving the electricity on, (water heater/fridge off) and a few lights on a timer.
And yes, have someone stop by accaisonally. Local flyers, newspaper, debris on front stoop says, "BREAK IN HERE- NOBODY HOME." The burgers knoiw that. The insurance company knows that. Now you do also. However, going on a six month vacation willl not result of a concellation of your insurance. Be risk aware and take the proper measures to make sure "Home Sweet Home" is still sweet when you return.
-
Read your policy. Call your insurance agent. You and they are the only people who can see what's hiddend in that waterfall of words.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor FL
727.420.4041
Move to the Front of the Line (FirstLookHomes.us)
Myra Gouger, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sun Nov 10, 2013
No the mortgage company can't take your home because you are gone and the insurance company can't drop you because you are gone. If, while you are away, you don't pay the insurance company, they could drop you for that reason but no other. The mortgage company would never start foreclosing even if you were past due for 30 days. You would have to be past due for 90 days. Take your vacation and don't worry. Just pay your bills before you go or pay them online while you are away. Your friend is just worrying you unnecessarily.