Lets say you have been injured on the property? other than the Mortgage holder what is the best way to find out if they have insurance?

Asked by jcbolow, Houston, TX Fri Mar 8, 2013

what if they have a second Mortgage?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


jcbolow, , Houston, TX
Mon Mar 11, 2013
it appears as though Tom Burris is the only one who took the time not to waste time

Thanks Tom!!
1 vote
Al Geffon, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Mar 9, 2013
You're obviously contemplating litigation. Realtors are prohibited from furnishing any information that may be interpreted as practicing law. You're going to need an attorney to proceed ... retain one as soon as you can.

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
Web Reference:  http://www.har.com/algeffon
1 vote
Nicole Ford, Agent, Pearland, TX
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Ron is absolutely correct about privacy issues from a Mortgagee as well as insurance carrier's perspective. Most counties have an online appraisal district website with public records of owners. Sometimes it is accurate and sometimes not, but definitely worth a shot if you can't speak with the owner about the matter directly.
0 votes
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Hi jcbolow:

Okay, as others have said below, you can have a lawyer investigate this and give you advice. And only lawyers can give legal advice. But your question does not imply litigation or other legal action. It simply implies that you want information about the availability of insurance that might cover an injury. So let us not over-think this. Why not just ask the property owner who hopefully bought insurance to cover exactly this kind of situation? If you don't know who owns the property, you should be able to find out at the county courthouse (or online). And if you feel uncomfortable asking the owner in person, then write a letter or send an e-mail.


P.S. The mortgage holder (i.e., the lender or someone who bought the mortgage paper) probably will not provide insurance information to someone who calls. Privacy issues and all that.
0 votes
Nicole Ford, Agent, Pearland, TX
Wed Aug 28, 2013

It sounds like you have a bit of investigative work to do and an attorney would be a good fit!

I am a Licensed Insurance Agent and if a person has a mortgage, there is no guarantee they have insurance. There are often times when homeowners allow their insurance to lapse for non-payment or they simply do not renew. Some mortgage companies are very quick to force place insurance and some do not which could result in a lack of coverage for a certain time frame.

The other part of the equation is that all homeowner/hazard policies do not automatically provide liability coverage within the policy as the homeowner can opt not to carry it in some cases. Some homeowners carry Fire policies, which again do not mandatorily include liability coverage but both will meet the need of the Mortgagee ... protect the dwelling itself.

Nicole Ford
Realtor, REOOTX, LLC
Licensed P&C Agent, A Ford Insurance Agency
(832) 295-1432
0 votes
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun Mar 10, 2013
Attorneys, not Realtors, earn their livings answering questions like yours.
0 votes
Rick and Cat…, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Mar 9, 2013
A lawyer would be the most appropriate person to answer your questions/concerns.
Best of luck.
0 votes
Carlson Lind…, , Houston, TX
Sat Mar 9, 2013
get a lawyer would be your best advice to proceed
0 votes
Tommy Burris, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Baton Rouge, LA
Fri Mar 8, 2013
Don't ask a realtor this question.
ask an attorney

if they have a mortgage, they are insured.
0 votes
Thank You Very Much!
Flag Fri Mar 8, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more