I have found that my recent home purchase had some major remodeling completed without permits or disclosures in the sale.

Asked by Hawley, Truckee, CA Mon Jul 8, 2013

I puchased a home in September of 2012. In December of 2012 the home revealed a severe water leak. After filing a HO claim I have found that the home had had some major remodeling completed without permits or disclosures in the sale. My HO insurance company is really dragging their feet and I have not had any attention from my lender. What do I do?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Luca and Ali…, Agent, Olympic Valley, CA
Sun Jul 14, 2013
Contact your agent first and then contacting a lawyer might be necessary as well.
0 votes
Hawley, Home Owner, Truckee, CA
Thu Jul 11, 2013
Thank you all so much for your response. After further investigation, I have opened a big can of worms on the cover up of this construction by a handyman that was not inspected or up to code. I am seeking the advice of an attorney for $345./hr. Another case of unethical sellers!
0 votes
Olja Mihic, Agent, Tahoe City, CA
Wed Jul 10, 2013
Sorry about your situation! The first thing that came to mind was a burst water pipe as it was in Dec. That is very common in Tahoe! It happens a lot due to freezing temperatures even if the home has been winterized. You always have to leave the heat on, even if you winterize! Insurance will cover this if you had the heat on. I have a contractor that deals with insurance companies directly if you need him. They will remedy the water damage and bill your insurance. But the insurance company will ask you for a heating bill.
Msg me if you need the contractor info.

Olja Mihic
COldwell Banker
530 448 6633
0 votes
Dave Westall, Agent, Tahoe City, CA
Tue Jul 9, 2013
I am sorry to hear about your situation as that is not how a new home purchase is supposed to go. I would contact your Agent to discuss how you can remedy the situation and hopefully they can assist you and come up with a solution to the issue. There are quite a few variables that would need to be determined in order for me to give you proper advise, so I think that its best to start with your Agent and go from there. Your agent should be able to go over the sellers disclosures, review the Home Inspection, and possibly talk with the other agent to see what can be done. I think that there is light at the end of the tunnel, just a major pain in the neck. If you want to talk I would be happy to share my thoughts with you. Best of luck.

Dave Westall, Realtor
Tahoe Riverfront Realty, Inc.
DRE# 01796995
0 votes
Dionne Pope, Agent, Truckee, CA
Mon Jul 8, 2013
First, has it been determined that the leak is a result of the remodel? Second, you should contact your Realtor to take the steps necessary to address the non disclosed items. Was the home an REO? If so, the bank would not have the knowledge of the home needed to disclose.

For additional assistance, feel free to call me at 530-582-2430

Dionne Pope
Coldwell Banker
0 votes
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Mon Jul 8, 2013
Get a lawyer. Not disclosing un-permitted improvements is a serious violation of your purchase contract. An agent can't fix this for you - you need a lawyer.
0 votes
Kappy Mann a…, Agent, Truckee, CA
Mon Jul 8, 2013
I am sorry. Did you have a home inspection on the house? Did you have a home warranty in your transaction? I would contact my agent and see if he/she could help you and depending on the answers to these two questions, you will have better direction. Best of luck!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more