Home Insurance in Jupiter>Question Details

Homebuyerjup…, Home Buyer in Jupiter, FL

How can I estimate my potential homeowner's insurance, WITHOUT talking to an insurance broker?

Asked by Homebuyerjupiterfl, Jupiter, FL Sat Dec 17, 2011

Answers

17
I find all of your answers so infuriating. This person specifically asked how to estimate WITHOUT talking to a broker. So if your answer was talk to a broker then you should not post. While I understand there is no way to get a quote without talking to a broker an ESTIMATE is not an exact answer. Some people might not have enough information for a quote. Say for instance I am a first time homebuyer who is just beginning a search for a home and I would like to responsibly estimate my payments before I make a half million dollar investment. I may only know the area where I am looking and some basic information on my desired home. It seems that the suggestion is to lock yourself into a home and then hunt for insurance and hope your agent didn't push you to but a home you could just barely afford before insurance. This seems like the kind of thinking that got us into the huge financial mess we are in. AND it is a stupid way to do business. So all of the real estate agents that posted, whos business is to be experts in the realty market, seem to have no clue how their industry works. My advice for Homebuyerjupiterfl is to stay far away from these "agents" who cannot answer a very common question about their industry and find someone who will help you. I would be fired if I was as ignorant as the posters on here.
you can't each company and even each broker will have a different price.
I always get competing estimates, that way my buyer gets the best prices from insurance companies. Always give out at least three names of providers. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 3, 2012
The tricky part of estimating anything is that you are starting with assumptions that may have changed since you last had accurate data. I know people who had their insurance costs double after many years of having it be steady or with only small increases and the doubling had nothing to do with their home or personal claims. It's always better to ask a professional and to give the information necessary for them to give you a real cost rather than a general answer. It also pays to shop--last week I had a client call his existing insurer to discuss insurance on a new home he was purchasing and he was able to get an identical policy with another insurer for $1200 per year less than his existing insurer wanted to charge him. He was, of course, pleased he made the calls!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 29, 2012
One way to get a good idea of the insurance cost is try to see if you can get the current homeowners insurance company information. That insurance company is already insuring the home. They may have a current wind mitigation report on file. They don't want to lose that property, so if you let them know you are shopping around, they are more likely to give you a good quote so they don't lose the policy.
Web Reference: http://www.homesbuddy.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 18, 2012
Home insurance is a substantial cost, so why would you not want to seek professional help? there are so many variables, but with the software available to an insurance agent you would have a more accurate estimate.
Is the concern here the dings on the credit or the service being received? There can be major advantages to using one, and if your credit getting a soft pull is a concern let them know so they handle the situation appropriately.
You really should speak to as MANY insurance agents and brokers as you possibly can. :) And let them know you are doing that.

Find someone who is actually willing to work WITH you.

Cindy
Here is one if you would like to get a quote with him:

Larry D. Williams, Jr.
Triple L Insurance Agency
4285 SW Martin Highway
Palm City, FL 34990

Phone: 772-283-2441

Fax: 772-283-2443
Home, Auto, Flood, Commercial, Business, Life and Health
"Success by way of Service and Solutions"
Web Reference: http://www.karinaleal.com
Why would you want to, they don't bite.
You can either speak to a broker and know a price ( at least one option ) or try to estimate it and be wrong, I would choose option #1.
You really can't. Not with any degree of accuracy.

On top of all the variables already mentioned, your rate will vary (and you might even find you can't get insurance) based on the particular house and the recent claims made by the current or previous owners.

Karen suggests Geico. Calling them--or a similar company where you don't have individual agents vying for commissions--might address the concern you may have about being called incessently by insurance agents. But, as is also noted, you'll find measurable differences in the rates quoted by different companies, even for the same insurance.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Like Jack said the shape of the roof is an important factor as is garage door, proximity to water, etc. Also if the property is missing one single shutter, it doesn't get credit for the ones it has. Getting a wind mitigation report will save you money on insurance.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 18, 2011
Homebuyer,

So many factors one into play it is hard to give you a good answer. The size of the property, the techniques utilized in it's construction, it's proximity to water and flood elevation rating, whether you have had a windstorm survey completed will all come into play along with the limits you carry for personal items and liability. if you would like to e-mail me the address of the home you are inquiring about I may have a recent closing in the area and could probably give you a better idea of what to expect.

I hope this information is helpful but if you need anything additional please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference: http://www.tompriester.com
Google home owners insurance for Jupiter FL. Some websites might ask you questions and give you an estimate, but you should talk to several insurance agents and get a few quotes. A quote is not an obligation. Best wishes in your new home.

Marilyn Jacobs
the GO TO REALTOR in southeast Florida
marilynfjacobs@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 17, 2011
Why would you even want to guess? Geico.com will do it on the phone for you as well almost every company. All they need is the street address. Helps if you have a burglar alarm, hurricane shutters, newer roof.
That would almost impossible. There are so many factors that enter into the equation. Such as size of the home, its proximity to the coastline, replacement value, age of the home, what building code was used to design and build the structure, roof covering, roof deck attachment, roof to wall attachment, the shape of the roof, meaning roof geometry, gable end bracing, wall construction type, exterior opening and a host of other factors. Your best bet is just call and get accurate quotes. If you have a current home inspection and a wind mitigation report, that would be very useful for the insurance agent and could very well save you money if the results are favorable.

Thank you and should you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me

Jack Rockwell
772-678-8071
jack.rockwell@hotmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.RockwellRE.com
Every company has different pricing schedules, it will be virtually imposible to do so. But it is perfectly ok to contact several agencies and ask for quotes, they are used to it.

Tony Vega
Charles Rutenberg Realty