Homeowners insurance

Asked by Ashley Oney, Garland, TX Sun May 27, 2012

I was just curious what is the average price for homeowners insurance in garland, tx. I am buying a house for 111k. It is 3 br 2 ba, 1644 sq ft. It has a swimming pool w a self latching gate, fireplace (which I'll never use) I've been getting quotes from $100-250/ mth. I was just wondering if that is the price range I should be looking for the quotes at. I was told I could probably be able to get it for $50 a month since it is a smaller house.

Please let me know if you need more info

Answers

6
T.E. & Naima Sumner’s answer
T.E. & Naima…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Mon May 28, 2012
We use an estimate of 1/2 to 1% of the value of the house to give people an idea of what insurance will cost, but that's not a promise.
A lot of factors go into the quote you'll get:
1. Value of the Property
2. Amount of the Deductible (fixed $ amounts are usually higher than 1% or 2%, but look out!)
3. Other risk factors (some companies check your credit to decide your risk) and you might have a pool or live in certain zipcodes with higher losses.
4. Inflation protection
5. Straight insurance or replacement cost - are they going to pay you back at depreciated value minus deductible or at replacement cost? If your straight coverage is too low, will you be subject to co-insurance payment?

The point about deductibles cannot be overemphasized. If your roof is heavily damaged by wind or hail, how much will you be out of pocket? A 2% deductible policy may be cheap, but your $6,000 roof will take $2200 out of your pocket if your house is valued at $110k.
Donald Steve…, Agent, Fontana, CA
Mon May 28, 2012
We would love to give you a free quote. Go to our website and you can request a quote online.
John Greer, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sun May 27, 2012
I'm not an insurance agent but have had enough policies to know that is extremely high shouldn't be more than 80/mo in my opinion for that size home.

Call, email or text with any questions, concerns or if you would like me to help in your search.

Best Regards
John Greer
Realtor/SFR/ABR
214-460-8381 Cell/Text
jgreer@unitedrealestatedallas.com
http://www.johngreerhomes.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sun May 27, 2012
Sounds high to me.
Are you going to live in as your primary residence?
Are there past claims?
Are you getting a multipolicy discount as well?

My guess is about $750 year.
primary resident, no claims in past, yes i was doing multipolicy and it still ended up being $100/mth
Flag Mon May 28, 2012
Ronda Allen, Agent, Plano, TX
Sun May 27, 2012
If you are a veteran, or immediate family member of a veteran, you may qualify for membership with USAA. Their hazard insurance can be bundled with car insurance for an awesome discount. Have a blessed day!
Ronda
Yes, I am a veteran. I will check there as well Thanks :)
Flag Sun May 27, 2012
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sun May 27, 2012
Best to confer with insurance agents be outside of scope of knowledge a Realtor would know based on many factors involved in pricing insurance, including your credit scores .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
I have compared with some local agents. I know of gieco, progressive and allstate. never really bought a house before... Haven't really heard of any besides those.
Flag Sun May 27, 2012