Does AAA require buying roadside assistance membership for H06?

Asked by webmihir, Sunnyvale, CA Sun Nov 17, 2013

I talked to a AAA agent to obtain a quote for townhouse H06 policy. I was told by that agent that I will need to buy a roadside assistance membership for $57 in order to buy the H06 policy. Is this normal - what does a roadside policy have to do with townhouse insurance?

Answers

5
Donald Stevens’ answer
Donald Steve…, Agent, Fontana, CA
Mon Nov 18, 2013
You are signing up for roadside assistance but you are also becoming a member of the group by joining. AAA insurance is for members only. Its an auto club you join by becoming a member for $57 which gives you roadside assistance benefits.
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Fri Sep 19, 2014
I would ask first...what does AAA have to do with property insurance?? I'm surprised to hear they even offer HO6. I'm not surprised, though, that since they do, they only provide it to members, which is what they want the $57 for. Interesting...
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Roadside assistance doesn't have anything to do with HO6 policy. You need to purchase a AAA membership and perhaps their minimum membership has Roadside Assistance. That you will need to have the sales agent clarify for you.
Walter 'Skip'…, Agent, Brea, CA
Mon Nov 18, 2013
It is no different than having to have a Costco membership in order to shop there.
Trevolyn Hai…, Agent, Highland, CA
Mon Nov 18, 2013
AAA is a membership organization so if you want their policies you have to sign up.

As well as your cost for the insurance, which ever insurance company you go with, you want to look at how strong financially they are and how well they handle claims. So if you need to pay $57 for the membership, add it to the cost of the policy & see if it still is a good value for the insurance policy they are offering you.

On a side note: I do not in any way get compensated from AAA to say that I love my AAA membership and feel that I have gotten my moneys worth out of it; not just from their services but also the discounts that I qualify for at other merchants (after initially signing up for their basic membership, I even upgraded it because of my satisfaction) and my husband has never had to file any claims but he has his motorcycle insurance through them & found that their policy coverage was the best value for his needs.