Do I need to set up an association if I live in a condex?

Asked by Mommyof3, 03051 Thu Mar 29, 2012

I am currently living in a Condex in Hudson NH .It's like a duplex I own my side my neighbor the other side. Unfortunetly my husband and I didn't really know about what it's like to buy a condex neither did my agent give me the down falls about purchasing one. My question is My neighbor recently changed insurance and they told her that we needed a master policy for the entire building. It's obvious we were improperly insured for the 5 years I lived here. We did the master policy and insured our personal property inside then we recently were notified by our insurance agent that we have bylaws and that our condex should have an associtaion set up. Why would we need an association if we both do our side of the lawn and snow removel etc... can anyone help?

Answers

2
Virginia Kaz…, Agent, Hudson, NH
Mon Apr 2, 2012
There should be documentation on file with the registry of deeds and may be referenced in your deed. Typically it is an agreement with the other half of the condex. You need this documentation in case there are disputes about what each owner is responsible for, such as roof siding, well, septic or other maintenance. As mortgage restrictions have changed you may also need it if you sell the property.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sun Apr 1, 2012
When you home was made a condominium, the person that did it had to set the bylaws and record the condo documents to get them approved. You should research your deed and get the original condo docs, it will give you the breakdown of how the condo association was set up and the rules you need to follow. you indeed need a master insurance policy for the building. The condo docs will state what you own yourself and what is shared with your neighbor. In most cases you own the sheetrock in. It is important to have in writing what you take care of and what they take care of. Also to know what will happen and how expenses are shared say to replace the roof. Good luck working things out
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com