Bethany, Both Buyer and Seller in Hull, MA

Did this home need flood insurance?

Asked by Bethany, Hull, MA Sat Jan 17, 2009

This question is about this property:…

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Bill Tierney, Agent, Cohasset, MA
Mon May 10, 2010
Bethany, you post and interesting question. Does the home "need" flood insurance? Need is a yes if the home is in a flood plain. But given that Hull is so close to water being that the town just into Mass. Bay, flood insurance is always a good idea. Many homeowner policies don't cover flooding, so it is not always a question of need...
0 votes
Cindy Bittker, , Hull, MA
Thu Oct 29, 2009

45 Point Allerton was my listing and I sold that property. You asked a simple question, which has a complicated answer. At the time of that sale, FEMA had produced new maps of Hull and they were not final versions. As is often the case in many parts of Hull, a property can be in more than one zone!! The borders of the property may be in a flood zone, but the structure may not be, or may be in a less risky zone. On this property, the draft maps showed the house to be in the new "Zone X," while the edge of the property may have been in a flood zone and/or a High Velocity Zone. Flood zones effect insurance and the ability to build or expand property. Buyers in Hull should consult with the Conservation Commission, the Building Department, their insurance agent (and of course, their attorney) when buying coastal property. More info under "Buyer Resources" at
0 votes
Tim Honeycutt, Home Buyer, Bloomfield, NJ
Thu Jun 4, 2009
I use the following site, Bethany Hope it helps you.
0 votes
Donald Steve…, Agent, Fontana, CA
Thu Jun 4, 2009
Any house can have flood insurance. Some are required but all are recommended. If you are not in a flood zone then the rate is very low. Homeowners policies don't cover flood and floods can happen anywhere and I mean anywhere.

The Home Insurance Specialist
Web Reference:
0 votes
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Sun Jan 18, 2009
Hi Cindy- If you already have a good insurance agent, you can probably just call them and give them this address, and they can do the search for you and tell for sure if FLOOD is required. Thanks and good luck,

Ken L.
0 votes
Chris Head, Agent, Norwell, MA
Sun Jan 18, 2009
According to the disclosure field in the MLS when the property was for sale, "On new FEMA Draft Flood Maps property is new "Zone X" Flood Ins./FEMA foundation MAY not be required."

Follow the link below to FEMA's web site where you can generate a Flood Map for the area.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Insurance in Hull Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more