Also, what is homeowners ins. like in Ocean Springs area? Flood insurance required? rates?

Asked by Laladavis, Mandeville, LA Thu Aug 27, 2009

Answers

2
Patti Courtn…, Agent, Ocean Springs, MS
Thu Oct 29, 2009
Insurance in South Mississippi depends upon the house, the location, flood zone, and the buyer's credit and claim history. There is no set price for insurance; however, I can give you a list of agents that will work with you to get the best price for your new home. An average $200,000 house will be priced between $1600 and $3600 a year, dependent upon the conditions I mentioned. When you planning to purchase a new house be sure to ask your agent and representatives to take the insurance and tax figures into consideration along with your mortgage payment. I will be glad to give you a list of qualified persons in this area.
Patti Courtney, Realtor Coldwell Banker Alfonso Realty
Web Reference:  http://www.patticourtney.com
Damion Flynn, Agent, Saucier, MS
Thu Aug 27, 2009
Homeowners insurance is subject to too many variables but is not any more or less than other cities on the coast. We do have insurance companies that have consistently beaten others prices. Flood insurance is generally only required if you are in a flood zone. If homes were built to the proper standards or existing units raised above the ABFE or DFIRM standards, then flood insurance can be fairly inexpensive. On a $200k home, total insurance (Fire, Hazard, Wind, Flood) could range anywhere from $1800/year to over $4000/year. The important thing is to either check insurance costs prior to putting in your offer or put in your offer contingent upon insurance being below a certain dollar amount. See other "tricks" at our website in the Buyers Section (link below in web ref)