wow. seattle is HUGE! where sd i live?

Asked by nancya148, 28801 Thu Aug 15, 2013

Answers

10
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Hi Nancy,
Welcome to Seattle and thanks for the clarification of what you would enjoy about your new neighborhood. Seattle does have many interesting areas that feed the souls of a wide variety of people. You have some good answers below that highlight many neighborhoods, but there are still more to consider.
Are you here in Seattle yet? If so, contact a great agent/broker and have them show you some places that are currently on the market. Your budget will help you narrow your options, as Seattle does tend to be more expensive than some areas. When you see what is available, spend some time in some of the neighborhoods to see the shops, parks and amenities they offer.
Seattle is about 2.5 hours to Vancouver B.C. Border crossing times can vary depending on the time of day and if there is a holiday on either side. If you expect to make the trip up regularly, consider getting a Nexus Card. Card holders have hardly any wait because they are pre-screened. I recently sat for 40 minutes in my lane while the Nexus card holders lane was moving right along.
We hope you enjoy your time here.
Hi Nancy,
I'm sure you'll find some willing agents. It would really depend upon the agent's schedule at the time. What you can learn about Seattle will depend upon where you're coming from. Like all cities, we have our public image, which we may or may not live up (or down) too depending upon your experience.
I'm curious why you wouldn't want to end up in Vancouver instead. Being 2.5 to 3 hours away is closer than you are now, but still not very convenient for pop-in's or emergency assistance should either party need it.
Feel free to contact me or any of the posters here to discuss when you'll be coming and our availability to show you around. I don't focus on the city as my primary market. I'm about 30 minutes east in a suburb, but I've lived in the area all my life.
Flag Sun Aug 18, 2013
it says i am a renter in 28801, but i am actually an owner in 00901. [28801 is asheville, nc. i was interested in moving there, but i wasnt all that taken with it when i visited.]
Flag Sat Aug 17, 2013
I live over 6000 miles from seattle [not in the US or CA] and the only 2 things I know about the city are you have great coffee and a terrible airport. Would an agent/broker show me various neighborhoods if I am not interested in buying-at least for a year and possibly never? I'm not interested in the responsibility of home ownership, and I don't really care about investment for the future since I am already in MY future, and I intend to spend what I have and then become the dearly departed
Flag Sat Aug 17, 2013
Johan Tong, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Aug 15, 2013
If you have big dogs, you may want to leave by a place where you can walk your doggies. There following are information on off-lease dog parks in Seattle.

Denny Park 100 Dexter Ave N
Dr. Jose Rizal Park 1008 12th Ave S
Genesee Park and Playfield 4316 S Genesee St
Golden Gardens Park 8498 Seaview Pl NW
I-5 Colonnade Beneath I-5, south of E Howe St.
Kinnear Park 899 W Olympic Pl
Northacres Park 12718 1st Ave NE
Plymouth Pillars Park Boren Ave & Pike St
Regrade Park 2251 3rd Ave
Warren G. Magnuson Park 7400 Sand Point Way NE
Westcrest Park 9000 8th Ave SW
Woodland Park 1000 N 50th St
Blue Dog Pond 1520 26th Ave S
Magnolia Manor Park 3430 27th Ave W

My personal recommendations--
if you like downtown feeling, Denny Park by Denny Triangle is a good place where you have tons of apartments to choose from.
if you like suburb feeling, Green Lake and Sand Point are nice neighborhood and dog friendly.
Mark Reys, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Seattle is home to a diverse set of neighborhoods, each which has it's own character, prestige, hipness an culture. Some neighborhoods are desirable due to their location to the economic

QUEEN ANNE
Location : Queen Anne offers a quick commute to downtown, but it also boasts breathtaking views. To the West, sunsets, the Olympic mountain range, and Puget Sound. To the East, the sunrise, the Cascades, and Lake Union. And to the South, there's Seattle's impressive skyline, the Space Needle, and Mt. Rainier.

Homes : Homes on Queen Anne display a variety of architectural styles. Owing to its development in the late 1800s and early 1900s, Queen Anne has an abundance of wonderful old homes. Furthermore, high land values encourage the construction of quality new homes in the neighborhood. As a highly sought-after neighborhood, real estate values on Queen Anne should continue to rise with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation nearby and the South Lake Union redevelopment underway.

Lifestyle : Queen Anne offers an inviting neighborhood community where you'll find a little something for everyone; the urban flavor and active nightlife of Lower Queen Anne, the stores, shops, restaurants and coffee houses of Upper Queen Anne, the quiet tree-lined avenues, or the fun family activities at Seattle Center and the Experience Music Project.

MAGNOLIA
Location : Magnolia is a nature-rich jewel just outside of downtown, west of Queen Anne, and along Elliot Bay. With amazing views and scenic parks abound, its position on the water and limited thru-traffic gives Magnolia a small-town, island-like feel. Residents can still access the rest of Seattle quickly, with just a five-ten minute commute to downtown.

Homes : There are a variety of home styles in Magnolia. 1950's mid-century modern ranch houses, new condominiums, and luxurious historic mansions with unobstructed views of Puget Sound all are available in this friendly, suburban neighborhood. Lot sizes tend to be larger, thus homes often have generously-sized yards.

Lifestyle : Magnolia is a great neighborhood for people who love to be active in nature, prefer to feel removed from the city, but also want easy access to downtown. Discovery Park boasts 534 acres of beautiful scenery, views of the Cascades, Puget Sound, and Olympics, and many trails through a variety of natural habitats, including two miles of protected beaches. The center of Magnolia, known as The Village, is where neighbors gather to shop, dine, and dwell over a cup of coffee. Magnolia is the perfect place for those who want the best of both worlds, including city life and a small-town neighborhood feel.

DOWNTOWN
Location : Seattle's downtown is like no other. Flanked by Puget Sound to the west, amazing views of the bay and the Olympic Mountains can be enjoyed from many of Seattle's downtown streets. Getting to and from downtown is simple via a grid of numbered thoroughfares, I-5 access, and Highway 99, which runs along Seattle's waterfront.

Homes : There are several condominium buildings in downtown Seattle, from renovated historic buildings to new-from-the-ground-up construction. Many buildings feature breath-taking views of Puget Sound, the Olympic mountain range, the iconic Space Needle, or Mount Rainier.

Lifestyle : Downtown Seattle is comprised of several sub-neighborhoods, each with its own distinct flavor. Belltown, in the north part of downtown, is home to hip shops, restaurants, bars, and clubs. The center of downtown is the main business and shopping district, where you can browse for clothing at Westlake Center, or purchase the freshest produce and seafood at Pike Place Market. Further south is historic Pioneer Square, home to Seattle's sport venues,

CAPITOL HILL
Location : Capitol Hill is located on the east side of Seattle. There are three colleges, a variety of parks, including beautiful Volunteer Park Conservatory, and many restaurants, shops and boutiques. It’s conveniently located near downtown, I-5 and a short drive to Lake Washington.

Homes : Many homes in Capitol Hill were built in the 19th and 20th century and offer unmatched old world charm. Quaint homes on tree lined streets and impeccable Seattle homes on Federal Avenue, among others, make this a very desirable area to live.

Lifestyle : Capitol Hill is a vibrant neighborhood of Seattle. Densely populated and very diverse, this is a neighborhood that has it all and is known for its arts and culture. It is home to two of the city’s best known movie theaters, an annual three day music festival known as Capitol Hill Block Party, active nightlife, coffee drinking, dining and much more.

Let me know if want info on neighborhoods a bit further out from Downtown. Wedgewood, Ballard, Madison Park, Windermere, Laurelhurst and Bryant. Each are just as diverse.

Mark Reys
Kim & Kimber…, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Wed Aug 21, 2013
Welcome to the Seattle area! It all depends what your interests are? Where are you looking to work? Do you want to commute? Do you want to rent or buy? What is your price range?
Check out http://www.kimspencerrealestate
for more info & listings in Seattle & the Eastside
Kim Spencer, Broker
Horizon Real Estate
425.387.0725
nancya148, Renter, 28801
Thu Aug 15, 2013
somehow most of that info got left out of my question. i'm retired and dont need to go anywhere. i'd like to live in a place where lots of interesting shops were located within walking distance. and with a good helping of those useful places like hardware stores, computer repair, bagel shop...[a potted plant is all the nature i need and i have a hard time keeping it alive.] i like to take classes in various crafts and can produce many useless things that are eyesores. i have a little dog that is my best friend. in fact, she is the only one i like who likes me.
i want a 1 bedroom. i'd like it in one of those blgings that has a gym, not that i'll ever go, but a hot tub and sauna wd be nice. i guess i wd be comfortable paying $1500/mo.
and that's about it. i want to move there cuz i hate where i live, and i want to be nearer to my son who lives in BC,
It sounds like Ballard will be your place. Somewhere near Market Street. You will find rentals and apartments under 1,500 month easily.

If you like a little less crowded place, downtown Kirkland will be a good idea. They have some nice one bedrooms in the condo by the downtown Kirkland.

If space is really not an issue for you, you may also consider downtown Seattle. You can find a studio about 400 to 500 SqFt within your price range. This studio will be in buildings that have nice gym, SPA, yoga room, and entertainment center.

Let me know if you need help looking for rental. I will be glad to provide you more local info. Email me at johan.tong@century21.com or go to my website: http://www.SeattleSweetHomeSearch.com
Flag Mon Aug 19, 2013
Ray Akers, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Interesting. I think of Seattle as a small town in many ways. I guess it depends on your perspective? Many neighborhoods have their own identity, and so they may feel more like living in a village rather than a big city. Where you choose to live depends on a variety of factors including lifestyle, budget, where you work, how you commute, how you spend your free time, and more. There are sought-after neighborhoods like Queen Anne and up-and-coming neighborhoods like Columbia City and swanky neighborhoods like Madison Park. Seattle offers a lot of variety. Good luck with your research.
George Brain, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Hello Nancy:
Yes, Seattle is large.
Where you would like to live depends on a number of things.
Location, budget, proximity to conveniences / job / etc, the amount of privacy you are looking for, and the long//short term goal of your investment - that's right I said it - your home is an investment!!

Anyhow, please feel free to contact me, I will be happy to help you in your search for a neighborhood and to find your new home.

George Brain
206 954 5739
George@brayerhomes.com
George Brain, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Hello Nancy:
Yes, Seattle is large.

George Brain
206 954 5739
George@brayerhomes.com
Ken Graff, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Aug 15, 2013
I agree with Mark. (Nice job by the way Mark!) In addition to Mark's spot on suggestions, I would add Fremont, Wallingford. Phinney and Ballard.

Are you looking to buy or rent? What is important to you as far as distance from work, play, etc?

Ken Graff
, ,
Thu Aug 15, 2013
* where do you need to go on a daily basis ?( commute ?)
* what kind of housing budget and down payment do you have to work with ?
* what do think you will continue to do / go on off work hours ?