would like to find a house/condo while attending Southern College of Optometry. Any advice on which area?

Asked by Dane, Memphis, TN Fri May 16, 2008

is the best? (safety, stay for up to 5 years, etc.) Also, what are US laws regarding foreigners buying real estate? (property tax,...)

Answers

6
M Williams, Both Buyer And Seller,
Tue Jul 22, 2008
I have had several friends graduate from SCO and all of which chose to live in either the downtown or Midtown areas secondary convienence to school and the array of activities to do. My husband and I have each owned homes in the Midtown area. (In fact, that is how we met; we were next door neighbors.) We recently got married and have since been living in his house. He works from home and we are now looking for a larger home in Midtown. Consequently we are having to sell our house located at 2273 Vinton Ave. This is a great area for students as it is close to restaurants, grocery store, bars, medical district, etc. Our house we are selling is a 2 BDR, 1 BA with a nice sized kitchen, a great porch, and a private backyard and is priced at $137,000. We are located on a cove in Midtown which is one of the features we will likely miss the most! Our house is viewable on the Crye-Leike website. Feel free to call or email our agent Pam Watson with any questions! Best of Luck!
The Sharp So…, Agent, Memphis, TN
Sat Jul 12, 2008
We have a great condo right downtown- an urban style loft with 2 bathrooms and a viking kitchen, rooftop deck- two stories, very open. It is one of just a handful of condos that can be used either as a residential or commercial piece of property which should prove to increase it's value. It is located in the Arts district surrounded by art galleries, etc...the address is 408 S. Front, Unit #107 priced at $189,900.....the other good option is buying a home on Mud Island, Harbor Town in particular, a fantastic example of the "new Urbanist " movement- but expect to pay a little over $300,000 to get anything worthwhile.

Go to our website- http://www.DowntownMemphisUSA.com and use it to look at some of the featured properties or seach for anything in Memphis.
Karen and Tim Soro
The Downtown Realtors
, ,
Tue May 27, 2008
Dane,

Feel free to email or call me. I'm getting ready to sell my townhome; it's located only a few blocks from the College. (A couple of residents own in here, actually). I just redid the entire place...brand new kitchen (granite, stainless appliances), new bathrooms (2.5 total). The HOA fees are so low, and we have $ in the budget for a gated entrance!

If you're interested (I"ll send photos, if you want), email me at heatherwalpole@gmail.com
Crystol Fask…, Agent, Oakland, TN
Tue May 27, 2008
Hello Dane,

Welcome to Memphis! Downtown does have the lowest crime rate in Shelby County, but Mud Island is even better. It's like a whole new way of living, but the conveniences of urban living. We have our own grocery store, restaurants, hotel, dry cleaners and health club.. I am currently working with the last piece of Mississippi river front property here on the Island that is the place that you will want to be. Check out the web reference.

Let me know if you would like more information on Rivertown on the Island.

Crystol Faskell
Jo Shaner, Agent, Memphis, TN
Fri May 16, 2008
Hello Dane,

I have several students of SCO that have purchased small condos in the downtown area and have been extremely pleased. Only 5 minutes from school, great resale, low crime - 38103 in the lowest in Shelby County, no maintenance to deal with and truly enjoy the cosmopolitan lifestyle.

Not to worry about being a non US citizen - it's done everyday. You will have certain guidelines to qualify for through your lending institution, the only problem you could face if you were an illegal alien. If no loan is going to be obtained, then an attorney would set up your international wire transfer.

Let me know if you would like more information on this subject - I am here to help.

Jo Shaner
Web Reference:  http://www.lipseyshaner.com
Joe Spake, Agent, Memphis, TN
Fri May 16, 2008
Dane, Welcome to Memphis. Most of the SCO and Medical students I have worked with have chosen Midtown. The area is close to the college, is stable, walkable, and has plenty of amenities. You can get a good condo in the low $100s or less, and the upside value of Midtown continues to be good as more and more folks find these neighborhoods quite desirable. I have specialized in Midtown for the last 12 years and would be happy to help you. Please feel free to contact me directly, or visit my website for more property information!
Web Reference:  http://www.spake.com