why is there such a huge rat/rodent problem in the attics of PGI homes?

Asked by Rclady520, Steamboat Springs, CO Wed Jul 24, 2013

Answers

8
Rise Wells, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Wed Aug 21, 2013
Interesting how rumors get started. In all my sales in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte and North Port, I have only had one home that had "signs" of rats in the attic. Keeping your home well maintained, having a pest control company or yourself check out your attic periodically will prevent any real issues. Rats and other critters do enjoy fruit trees so keep them well pruned and away from your home.
Paul Henders…, Agent, Homestead, FL
Sun Aug 18, 2013
Rats are everywhere. Female Cats help a little. But the best form of control is to eliminate landscaping that draws them and to place the bait boxes out. Check them once a month. Look at you house and make sure there are no overhanging tree limbs etc. Also If take down any items that can give them access to the roof from the ground. My pets have not shown a liking for rat poison but the Boxes like you see along the wall at BJ"S or any of the stores protect your pets. You can buy the big boxes on Amazon really cheap.
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Wed Jul 24, 2013
Any neighborhoods with homes along the water can have rats. Not just PGI. I have a buyer that purchased a home in Riverwood and in the heart of Port Charlotte that both had rats. It is primarily an issue with someone not keeping up with pest control. If you hire a pest control company and continue to use them quarterly for any type of pests (termites, ants, etc.)

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
http://www.tammyhayes.remax-florida.com/
Sam Rodgers, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Wed Jul 24, 2013
Sometimes the droppings have been there for a very long time without any current infestation. Inspectors do not differentiate between recent and ancient. I don't believe there is a problem in PGI that is any greater than it is anywhere else in the country. When I lived in northern California it was an ongoing problem.
Ken and Karen…, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Wed Jul 24, 2013
Hello -

We don't know that we'd call it huge (we've seen it on occasion, maybe 1 in 12?), but it is likely a result of the number of new roofs that were installed (in a hurry) after Hurricane Charlie in 2004. Chases were not properly blocked, gaps were not completely sealed, etc. - it doesn't have to be a large opening for one of these critters to get through.

Typically, the WDO (wood-destroying organism, primarily termites) inspector will report droppings and further investigation is called for to resolve this issue as well as allay concerns about potential damage to electrical wiring.

Florida (particularly in the south) has a year-round "growing season" - the resulting higher populations of all wildlife is part of the equation - fruit trees are their primary food source and the typical PGI home has at least one of those somewhere on the property.

A Realtor® familiar with our community will be a source of possibly more information on this topic as well as many other "little things" that more than offset this resolvable issue in your decision-making process.

Ken & Karen
Web Reference:  http://www.krolland.info
Terry McCarl…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Wed Jul 24, 2013
I don't know where you got your information but I have lived in Lee County Florida (just south of Charlotte County/ Punta Gorda) for over 25 years and have never heard of such a problem.
Tom Weekes, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Wed Jul 24, 2013
Didn't know there was but if there is, I would suspect that all the fruit trees that don't get picked and fall to the ground attracts them and people do a lot of landscaping here and often trees are up against the roof and rats can enter roof vents once they are on the roof. Just my ten cents.
Leo Albanes, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Wed Jul 24, 2013

I don't know where you are getting your information, but their isn't a problem with rodents in PGI.
While the home you may have been looking at may have had them and that's unfortunate,however the area does not have a problem with rats. Please call me at 941-626-9000 to voice your concerns and make sure you do not purchase a home in an area with Rodent problems.