why is it best to have a real estate agent?

Asked by Darius Brown, Everett, WA Tue Jun 25, 2013

Im new to the whole hunting thing and this will be my first home buying experience.

Answers

13
Mack McCoy’s answer
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Jun 25, 2013
I would turn the question around, Darius - why is it NOT best to have a real estate agent?

Real estate agents are like restaurant chefs. We have a large pantry with a lot of ingredients, but ultimately, all that matters is that we prepare the dish that you order to your standards.

So, by asking us, "why," you will get a lot of answers that don't relate to your needs - it's like a chef volunteering that their hamburgers are good when what you want is soup and salad - and yet, you know, if that chef was working directly for you, they'd be able to provide an excellent soup and salad; all you'd have to do is ask.

Jason Campbe…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Thu Jun 27, 2013
Oh man.. a good buyer's agent is worth their weight in gold. First.. THEY DON'T COST YOU A PENNY AS A BUYER! They get paid for by the other agent or builder... so it's like having a pack of hungry dogs on your side that you don't have to pay for.

A buyer's agent's job:

1 - Help you find all of the homes that fit what you are looking for in the area and price range you are looking for. They will always have the most up to date data. You will find that the vast majority of websites out there will be a little behind. Most homes are long sold before they make it on a website like trulia. So, it's great to have someone sending you an updated list every day.

2 - Their job is your best interest. A good buyer agent's mission in life is to save you as much money as possible. Get the seller to lower the price, make repairs, pay your closing costs, etc. The agent that represents the seller is trying to get as much money out of you as possible.. so having someone on your side can save you thousands of dollars

3 - A good buyer agent will walk you through the process and reduce your stress. They will walk you through the contract, inspections, mortgage process, etc. It's nice to have someone with a lot more experience make your life a lot easier... and all at a cost of $0.00!

There really is no advantage I can see to not having a good buyers agent on your side. You won't save any money, and if you are new to the process... you learn everything the hard way... it's easier to make mistakes, pay more than you should have, and it's harder to find the home in the first place.. It's a lot like going to court without an attorney... he who represents himself has a fool for a client. ;)

Jason
Jason's the best there is, you will want to call him! He was my agent. Very much recommend him!
Flag Fri Jun 28, 2013
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sun Jul 14, 2013
For the same reason that you hire a Mechanic to repair your car.
Or an CPA to do your Taxes.
Or an Appliance repairman to fix your refrigerator.

To do it right the first time; you don't get "overs" and mistakes can be very costly!
Patrick Will…, Home Buyer, Sacramento, CA
Fri Jun 28, 2013
In theory there is a reason real estate agents are present in this world around us. While agents come in all sizes and types and forms of ethics, As a seller it is important to shop if you have the time... As a buyer, the risk is minimal BUT in either case as far as I am concerned when you smell the potential for a "conflict of interest" realize it is to your detriment possibly. Nobody needs to gamble one way or the other. Most agents are educated and follow good judgement and a code of ethics, some tip the scale in another direction. But in the end as a Painting Contractor I can use this example, to save money on a job I once took on a trade I was unfamiliar with. Lets say Tiling... The result was a disaster 100% ridiculous...
Using that metaphor and to save myself admitting more of that situation, don't do something you aren't trained to do and expect any results other than disaster.
Currently my real estate agents through their good work are saving me from loosing 140,000.00
in this sale. Had I tried to fumble on my own Im not going there...Its sold my agents are Gods in my eyes figuratively speaking. Well a week away from closing...
Darrell Hess, Agent, Asheville, NC
Thu Jun 27, 2013
A great agent at your side is the best asset you can have when buying a home. I can't tell you how many unrepresented buyers get a terrible deal thinking they saved having to pay their would be agent. 9 times out of 10 a buyers agent is free to you the buyer. They get paid on broker agency and thinking going in it alone will get you a better deal couldn't be farther from the truth.
Rita Parker, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Thu Jun 27, 2013
Your representation from a buyer's agent is completely FREE to you! Whether you are buying a pre exicting home or new from a builder, it is best to have an experienced agent working on your behalf. Being a first-time home buyer, you definitely need someone that will guide you through the entire process and explain each aspect so that you are well informed.

The agent with the sign outside represents the seller and the sales people for the builder represent the builder so you need someone to look out for you. The best part is that as the buyer, it's all FREE for you.

Call or email me: 210-912-3244, RPARKER@CBHARPER.COM
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Tue Jun 25, 2013
#1 issues I address everyday WHEN receive a buyer / seller call stating they don't have an agent NOW either loss of their escrow money OR being sued.

You are not trained in all the particulars purchase a home CAN easily loss everything you have zero recourse AND to late for a Realtor or attorney step in for any recovery.

Why risk it you don't pay the Realtor anyway the seller does ... !

_________________________________________
Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com 100's of Dallas homes listed for sale or lease

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
https://twitter.com/Lynn911

(If my answer is helpful indicate by THUMBS UP or BEST ANSWER. Thank you )
Fred Herman, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Tue Jun 25, 2013
why is it best to have a surgeon operate???

Ans. Knowledge, experience and the ability to overcome/deal with unexpected obstacles.
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Jun 25, 2013
Hello Darius,

There is so much involved in a real estate transaction beyond the searching and selling phase. There is contract negotiations and deadlines that must be followed. Inspections and repairs. Analyzing market data so you know you are making a solid offer based on what the home is truly worth in comparison to the market. I could go on but I hope this helps you realize how vital a trusted agent is to you when you buy or sell a home.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference:  http://www.AustinListed.com
Gregory Touc…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Tue Jun 25, 2013
You can compare it to a court scene, the seller has a representative to keep their clients rights protected and to keep him informed of the system. You have the opportunity to have the same. The best part is, that it comes to no cost to you.

I have an information booklet I can pass to you that can help to you learn what to expect throughout the process. I have helped many, many first time buyers. Please check through my recommendations for their thoughts on my service and experience.

I also helped some other folks from Washington not too long ago. I would love the opportunity to do business with you also.

Gregory Touchstone
210-660-2834
gregory.touchstone@gmail.com
Kay Kirby, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Tue Jun 25, 2013
Because when you are purchasing a used home, the seller has an agent that is selling their home. They represent the sellers best interest and can not give you any advise on what to offer and can not give you any reports of market values of other houses that have sold in area. They do not represent your best interest and can not give you the best deal.

If you are purchasing new home, it is better to have an agent so they can make sure you get all the discounts and features that are due.
Chuck Berry, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Tue Jun 25, 2013
If you are not represented by a REALTOR, then the seller is will have the benefit of the advice, counsel, opinion and market analysis, and you'll be at a disadvantage.

As a buyer, you do not pay any brokerage fees, but the seller does. So why would you make the largest purchase of your life WITHOUT representation?

I'm an ABR (Accredited Buyers Rep), so I work with TONS of buyers, and hold their hands through the entire process, from qualification to closing.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

"I'll Find You The House, You Make It A Home!"

Cornel "Chuck" Berry, REALTOR®, (USAF Retired),
Real Estate Consultant, Lic# 0615965,
GRI, ABR, CNE, TAHS, SFR, Cartus CSA/NBS, BS, MA,
Coldwell Banker D'Ann Harper, REALTORS®,
18756 Stone Oak Pkwy., Suite 101.
San Antonio, TX 78258.
Cell: (210) 683-1157
Direct: (210) 483-7552
Fax: (210) 483-4679
Email: cberry@cbharper.com
Web Page: http://www.chuckberryrealtor.com

NOTE: Texas requires REALTORS furnish consumer friendly information about Brokerage Services - click on the link:
http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-K.pdf

The best compliment to a REALTOR is a referral!
If you know anyone with a Real Estate need, whether buying or selling, anywhere in the world, I can help! Get a **$50.00** referral fee for each buyer/seller you send to me, paid at closing!
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Jun 25, 2013
If you have any doubts; just monitor Trulia questions & answers for a while:
We field a lot of questions from people who tried to do a FSBO, both buyers and sellers, and they got into trouble, or they lost their deposit, or they didn't read their contract, or they were just simply in over their heads.
It would be so easy to be sarcastic with them; but we try to be sympathetic and professional.
Some Realtors will try to give you all the reasons, or even, all the things that can go wrong.
We say that every page in the Closing Documents was written in blood; meaning that every document came about because of a lawsuit.
Good luck in your quest.