why are the property taxes in WI so high?

Asked by laupmanis, 60640 Sun Aug 12, 2012

Answers

12
Brad Buntrock’s answer
Brad Buntrock, Agent, Kenosha, WI
Sun Aug 12, 2012
High taxes as compared to where? It really is a relative term. Where you choose to live within the state will also effect the amount of tax you pay. If you live in a city and enjoy all of the city services you will pay more than someone who lives in the country, even if your assessed value is the same. Property taxes can vary widely and sould be consider before buying a home.
Kenosha really is a nice little town.....but the property taxes are outrageous. My husband is originally from Kenosha and we seriously looked at moving back there, from Vegas, but with the low wages and property taxes that are exorbitant, we definitely cannot afford to live there, Nevada has no state tax, and has very affordable property tax and pay high wages. Lovely town, but realistically you can't afford to live there. Renting is also outrageous, but with property taxes there, a landlord has to charge a huge rent fee to cover their financial burden, tiny homes, huge property tax and low low wages make it an impossible dream to live in Kenosha WI.
Flag Tue Feb 9, 2016
I am shocked at the property tax rate in Wisconsin. For example, I compared Sheboygan to U.S. average and it is almost two times higher. U.S. average based on Bestplaces.net is 11.20 and Sheboygan is 21.16, Kenosha is 20.65, while my snooty little town in heart of thoroughbred horse country is only 7.48. What's the story? I am no longer considering a move to Wisconsin.
Flag Fri Oct 25, 2013
easchillinger, Home Owner, Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Thu Jan 15, 2015
My husband and I moved to central WI (town of 15,000), to be closer to his aging parents. We are shocked at how high our property taxes are compared to the home we owned in Bloomington, MN, (town of 80,000). Our previous home is a 5 bedroom, 2.5 bath on a large city lot. This home is a 2 bedroom, 1.75 bathroom, on a large city lot. Our taxes here are exactly the same.......

Also, several other things are more expensive: gas (often by 20-30 cents/gallon), license plate renewal (by $30-$40); clothing is not taxed in MN.
Creineman5, Home Buyer, Kenosha, WI
Tue Dec 18, 2012
I just got my tax bill and for a $110,000 property in City of Racine and it is $80 more than my $210,000 house in SAME county but city of Waterford. The tax bill showed double in the Racine Unified and City of Racine Donut fund??? Both also showing a 2.5% increase from 2011.....

They tax me like I should be happy to have a place there and it REALLY should be the other way around! If any onebody has answers I'd love to hear them!!!!

I am sure the govenment just wants everyone to shut and pay.
Matthew Heit…, Agent, Stoughton, WI
Wed Oct 24, 2012
2012 was the first time in awhile for Wisconsin that property taxes actually went down.
Nick Bullard, Home Buyer, Madison, WI
Tue Oct 23, 2012
Because it is a liberal state. Look up the history of WI. People of this state always thought the govenment should be large. I just moved here from Denver for a pay raise that has been eroded by WI's high tax burden. The streets should be paved in gold with the high property and income taxes.
Well, it's no longer a liberal State and they are still too high. Republicans are just as greedy with taxes any anyone else.
Flag Sat Jul 1, 2017
Theresa Olson, Agent, Kenosha, WI
Mon Aug 13, 2012
It would help to get the address so I can double check for you. Sometimes a water bill is rolled onto the taxes and it appears at first glance that it's part of the taxes. It also depends where your moving from. I know in the Southern States, property taxes are very low, so moving to the north seems high.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sun Aug 12, 2012
Answering question from all over, I have seen that the majority of the Country is about 1.25% to 1.5%.
I have also heard that New York City won't even talk about it, and Cape Cod is something like 3.75%!!
Yikes!!!

I think New Jersey is high too.

So, what about Wisconsin?
Brad Buntrock, Agent, Kenosha, WI
Sun Aug 12, 2012
That doesn't sound right. I have a 2 bedroom condo in Kenosha, assessed at about $150k and I pay about $3500. Without knowing what specific property you're referring to it is hard to say what the taxes are.
laupmanis, Renter, 60640
Sun Aug 12, 2012
I am currently looking at 2-bedroom condos in north Chicago and the taxes are in the $3,000 range. If I am reading the listings correcting, the same square footage in Racine/Kenosha are approximately $5-7,000. Does WI have a state tax? sales tax?
thanks
Mike Harscher, Agent, Kenosha, WI
Sun Aug 12, 2012
They're not really. Your opinion is they're high, compared to where? Remember taxes are based on the assessed value of a propertty, not the sales price.
Debby Thomps…, Agent, Wauwatosa, WI
Sun Aug 12, 2012
Look at your tax bill it breaks down where your property tax $$$'S GO. Then when you vote make sure you know who is spending your money and make sure they have the same plan as you for your money.

Debby Homestead Realty inc
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Sun Aug 12, 2012
You need to ask your state elected officials.