who to hire for evaluation of home: building inspector or professional engineer (same price)?

Asked by Charliefenson, Deposit, NY Fri Jun 22, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Darrell D. D…, Agent, Schertz, TX
Sun Jul 8, 2012
As a previous home inspector, I would caution against an engineer. This is my rationale - a good inspector is well versed in all aspects of the home (plumbing, mechanical, electrical, structural, and ancillary features like septics,, sprinklers, pools, etc...) and an engineer is usually a specialist in their field.

It's equivalent to a doctor - you have a dermatologist, a pediatrician, a general surgeon, an orthopedic doctor, etc....the dermatologist can look at you but will not have a firm handle on how to deal with tube in a toddlers ears. Most engineers are electrical engineers, structural engineers, etc....they specialize in an area and can be consulted for a specific problem in their area of expertise.
0 votes
Dawn Roessi…, Agent, Binghamton, NY
Sun Jul 8, 2012
Professiaonal engineer's are some times more expensive. Usually you would have a home inspector come in and do the inspection, they are licensed. Then if the inspector finds a major issue you may want to have an engineer come in to further evaluate the issue/
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Jun 23, 2012
Hire the licensed professional that you are most comfortable with....
0 votes
Jacques Ambr…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Often a home inspector will have some background in engineering. Make sure they are reputable and insured
0 votes
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Fri Jun 22, 2012
The engineer and home inspector may look at things with a different eye but you are safe with either as long as they are reputable.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more