who owns the sidewalk leading up to my front door in a condo?

Asked by Carol, 33415 Fri Apr 30, 2010

Answers

5
Tom Priester, Agent, Tequesta, FL
Fri Apr 30, 2010
Carol,

Typically in a condominium you own the space inside the common walls within your building. Everything else is usually a common area owned by all of the unit owners as tenants in common. There are also at times limited common elements that are for the sole use of a single owner and examples of these would be storage units and parking spaces that are for your sole benefit.

If there is a concern with the sidewalk I would visit with the manager of the Association and also review the Condominium Documents. If there is anything else that I could be of assistance with please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference:  http://www.tompriester.com
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Apr 30, 2010
As the previous answers state, it depends on your condo documents.

It's likely that the sidewalk itself is classified as either a "common element" or a "limited common element."

If it's a common element, then the condo association owns it and is responsible for maintaining it. And, unless your condo rules state differently (and they might), the association might also be responsible for snow shoveling and things like that.

If it's a limited common element, then the condo association still owns it. But there may be additional responsibilities assigned to you.

If you're in a townhouse, then it's possible that you own it. Again, check your condo documents. Or check the documents you received at settlement.

Dave Griswol…, Agent, Bridgewater, NJ
Fri Apr 30, 2010
Carol every condo association is different in one way or another. Sidewalks can be your responsibility or not. In a condo I owned once the sidewalk was the associations responsibility to maintain but it branched off to my door so I was responsible for maintaining and repairing the sidewalk and the steps.
In your By Laws that the seller or condo assoc. gave you should be a section about this. You can always call the board members and ask them as well. I'm sure all or most of them are living in your complex
all the best
Lisa
Web Reference:  http://www.urhomeealty.net
Debra B Albe…, Agent, Port St Lucie, FL
Fri Apr 30, 2010
Carol,
This is usually common property and your HOA would be responsible. Your association docs will answer this more fully.

Debbie Albert, PA
Coldwell Banker
Barhite and…, Agent, Bronxville, NY
Fri Apr 30, 2010
Hello Carol:
Typically, in a condo, all of the owners own the sidewalk in common leading to your front door and not just you.
If you are inquiring because of a maintenance or repair issue, you should refer to your decs for the specifics. usually the condominium maintains and repairs the exterior sidewalks. You want to look for the terms "common area" and "limited common area" which are defined near the beginning of the decs. Then look for the "responsiblity for maintenance" section. The better the declarations were written, the easier it is to follow and to figure out who does what. If in doubt, as the property manager or a boad member.
Some condominium declarations also include the phrase that they are to be maintained in a "first class manner."