who has juristriction over title5? The town where prospective are buying,or the state which grants Title 5 inspectors their license?

Asked by swordfish5470, Attleboro, MA Wed Oct 16, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kevin Mangia…, Agent, Concord, MA
Wed Oct 16, 2013
Title V is a state law, but towns are granted the ability to mandate more strict rules. For new construction, inspections and certificates of compliance are granted by the governing Board of Health.. For re-sales, state licensed inspectors provide the inspections and pass/fail reports. Closing attorneys assure the certifications have, in fact, been done. Kevin M 978-407-4807
0 votes
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Wed Oct 16, 2013
State law enforced by the cities/towns.
0 votes
Greer Swiston, Agent, Newton, MA
Wed Oct 16, 2013
The municipality (town or city) where the property is located issues the Title 5. Each municipality could have their own standards which they want met in order to issue a Title 5 in their town. So, if there is a question on why a Title 5 was denied/rejected ... or passed, but you somehow feel the requirements weren't sufficient to ensure safety ... then one may wish to go to the Town to challenge the validity of their Title 5 requirements.

If there is an issue with the inspector where one may be questioning the competency of the inspector, then one would need to appeal to the State to challenge that inspector's license.

So basically ... IT DEPENDS ... jurisdiction for what?
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more