who do I contact to confirm their are not other out standing judgements on a prpperty?

Asked by Lew Korn, Springfield, PA Sat Nov 15, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Beth Dorman, Agent, Rehoboth Beach, DE
Sat Nov 15, 2008
Lew, you would need to have a title company or attorney do a lien search on the property.
1 vote
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sat Nov 15, 2008
You can do all the above (or below) to research and make sure there are no outstanding judgements on a property. However, the best thing for you to do before you buy the house is to get titlle insurance just in case there is a last minute judgement recorded against the property. Note that Title companies will not insure titles for a house you bought at auction.

So, I would advise that unless you are a very, very savvy buyer, I will extremely careful when I go to an auction to buy a house.

Sylvia Barry
Marin Realtor
0 votes
Tom Omalley, , Sarasota, FL
Sat Nov 15, 2008
this is simple and most --------- can't answer. ALL judgements are recorded in public records and are easily searchable through the clerk of courts office in the county, or their web site.
0 votes
Daniel, , Baton Rouge, LA
Sat Nov 15, 2008
If the house is listed by an agent, there is probably a property disclosure which answers that question.

contact the listing agent
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Nov 15, 2008
As previously stated, this is the job of a title company. Your real estate agent will be able to provive you with some possibilities to choose from
0 votes
Shonda Campa…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Sat Nov 15, 2008
The best thing to do would be to use a Real Estate Agent. It's a free service for you and they will be able to look up this for you as well as answer any questions you may have.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in North Port Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more