where can i get a good buyer's agent who is not a seller's agent as well?

Asked by Frankie, 07304 Thu Jul 19, 2007

What I see on tv--House Hunters, My First Place, the agents seem to be working for the buyer by showing them houses. The agent I had just stuck general info in a computer and I get automated e-mails; never has my agent showed me any houses that I missed--I'm the one working hard searching the internet for homes; when I see something I like, the agent just makes the appointment. No work at all

Answers

10
Jim Lee, Agent, Portsmouth, TN
Thu Jul 19, 2007
You might consider a visit to http://www.REBAC.net, the Real Estate Buyer's Agent Council which is a part of the National Association of REALTORS (NAR).

Look for an agent there that has earned the ABR (Accredited Buyer Representative) designation.

There is a geographic locator on the website that will help you find an ABR that serves your area.

ABRs have earned that designation by attending classes on buyer representation, meeting performance requirements, becoming a member of REBAC, and agreeing to abide by their strict code of buyer ethics as well as NARs
Web Reference:  http://www.KnoxvilleMLS.com
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Tue Aug 21, 2007
Frankie,
While generated emails are a great tool for making sure you get info on listings, buyer sthese days are very computer savvy and have no trouble finding the home they want on the internet. There is really nothing wrong with a sellers agent representing you if you are a buyer. There is nothing wrong with an agent setting you up on an automated email system. This ensures you get the listing as they first hit the market. Where your agent makes their money is really after you have decided on a home. An agents worth will be decided on how well they help you negotiate a great price, making sure inspections are done in the time line required, helping you decifer inspection reports and negotiate any repairs that need addressing and much more. Helping you select a Title company and closing location. Following through with your loan officer if necessary. It is true, most buyers find the homes they want. They still need representation to make sure they are protected through the process. Since the commission is paid whether you select an agent to represent you or the sellers agent get the money to represent the seller and helps you with the purchase, I would say it makes sense for you to select an agent that you feel can help you through the crucial points.
Web Reference:  http://carriecrowell.com
Kaye Thomas, Agent, Manhattan Beach, CA
Tue Aug 21, 2007
Hi Frankie- I send my clients listings via e-mail but they know I have seen or will see the listings I send so I can determine what fits them and what doesn't before we ever look at homes... I often know about listings that are not on the MLS which I also share with my clients.

It's not a matter of showing you listings that are not on the MLS.. it's knowing what listings fit your needs and feeling that your agent understands what you are looking to purchase. If you are not happy with your agent then it may be time to find a new agent.
Web Reference:  http://kayethomas4homes.com
Renau, , 91360
Tue Aug 21, 2007
A helpful resource for information on agents would be Realtor.com. You can search for an agent in many different categories by selecting Find a Realtor in the Search category.
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sat Jul 21, 2007
Sounds like you need a good agent. Let me know if I can assist you find the right one. You just need someone working for you. That could be an agent that lists and sells, or one that just helps buyers. Where I live there are few strictly "buyers agents" that 100% represent buyers, unless they work for a listing agent is is delegating that task to them, but then they are really not true buyers agents. Ask for a buyers representation agreement. Read it, understand it, and if so inclined sign it. That ties the agent to you and outlines their performance duties. It is certainly possible now in today's age that you see homes first before the agent does. Especially if you are concentrating in a small area. You may be driving one particular neighborhood every day just waiting for signs. That's just the reality of the game. Also possible that the agent knows about a listing before it hits the market and let's you see it before the sign goes up. I'd also suggest that it is not only the agents job to find you a home, but to walk you through the entire transaction. I often think finding the home when helping the buyer, or selling the home when representing the seller is only about 25% of the job. The real work starts when the contract is in place and then working towards a smooth closing.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Chris Tesch, Agent, College Station, TX
Thu Jul 19, 2007
Dear Frankie,
This is an unfortunate experience that you've had! I don't know that you need an agent that doesn't list homes...it more seems like you need an agent that is motivated. When choosing an agent you, ideally, would interview several and find one that matches your style. I don't necessarily think that finding the one with the most sales in the area (in our area that would mean that they are getting leads from major employers), or even one affiliated with a large company is a definate.

If you have not signed a buyers representation agreement with this agent perhaps it is time to move on and find yourself an agent with a pulse!!!

Chris Tesch
Web Reference:  http://www.ChrisTesch.com
Rosetta, , Walnut Creek, CA
Thu Jul 19, 2007
Hi Frankie,
Consumers these days have all the same information on available listings that the agents do. There is no longer a need to be the first one to see a house since you probably have a good 30 days to decide if you want to buy it. My clients like going on Realtor.com http://www.justlisted.com to get up to the minute listings to view for themselves. Of course I do pick out the listings that I know are a good fit before touring. The REAL value of having a good buyers agent is in advising you on good neighborhoods that will maintain your homes value, negotiating good price and terms for you and making sure that your interests are protected all around. You should interview at least three agents. Ask them to provide you with letters of recommendation. You need to feel good about your choice for an agent,you will be working very closely in the next few months to spend more money than you ever have. If you already feel that the person is not working for you, give another agent a try...there are plenty to choose from! But one thing....let your current agent know that you are moving on.
J Lo, Home Buyer, California Glory, Brentwood, CA
Thu Jul 19, 2007
Hi Frankie:
I don't know what state you are in - but if you were an associate of mine - I would certainly set you up with a hands on agent. It sounds as if your agent isn't really your agent. What I mean by that is you aren't contractually bound to him/her.

If you want a "buyers" agent - look for the designation ABR. This type of designated agent is trained and usually deals with "buyers" - if not exclusively, then for most of their business.

To be successful, many agents must do both and in this market you can imagine how important it is to be flexible. The golden rule is to never take on more than you can handle, and maybe the agent you are dealing with has more than a full plates worth.

I am in the Atlanta Metro area - if you need any further assistance around these parts!
Robert Kroon, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Thu Jul 19, 2007
Hello Frankie - It does seem in today's business world personal service has been forgotten. We call on the telephone and we get answers that say.....press 1, press 2 etc and so on ad infinitum. ( P.S. when you call my cell number, you get me, not an answering machine or answering service )

Call or contact agents, tell them what you are trying to accomplish and ask to interview them. Just as you would if you were selling a home. If they don't really want to do that, cross them off the list. When you do sit down and talk with agent(s), ask your questions. How will you go about finding a home for me. How do I contact you ? Do you show me the home (s) or just make appointments. And so on.

Sure this takes time, but looking for your next home is important and worth a little extra time. After talking with agents and listening to their answers......I'll bet you will have no problem finding someone you like and can work with.......more importantly......WANTS TO WORK WITH AND FOR YOU.

We are out there..........just hang in there......you'll find us and we will get together.
Linda J Sears, , Lady Lake, FL
Thu Jul 19, 2007
Seems you have had a hard time. I would recommend calling a large real estate company in the area you are looking (Coldwell Banker, ERA, Century 21, etc) and as the manager who does the most selling in the area. Let the manager know what you are looking for in a Realtor and let them recommend someone. Don't be afraid to talk to a few Realtors prior to deciding who you want to work with. This is a very competitive business and it is not unheard of to expect professionalism. Those of us who are proud of our work and help to clients will not be afraid to meet and talk to you first. You deserve a professional!

Got get em!
Linda J Sears