Home Buying in Coon Rapids>Question Details

Amber, Other/Just Looking in Anoka, MN

what should my Husband and I look for in buying a home as 1st time buyers?

Asked by Amber, Anoka, MN Sun Jul 5, 2009

As the others have said, finding out what you can afford is the first step. Next think about how much work you are willing to put into the home. The foreclosed homes and short sales tend to need some work. Are you ready to learn or do you already know how to fix up various aspects of a home. Paint and carpet are one thing, but many need a new roof, siding windows, etc.. These items will cost more when you pay others to do them for you.

You also may qualify for the first time buyers credit of $8000 which is available if you close by 12-1-2009. This is a great time to buy.

I have a copy of the Realtors Home Buying Guide that I could send you. I am also located in Coon Rapids and have lived in the area most of my life.

Joel Friday
Web Reference: http://HomeByFriday.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 5, 2009
The first question you'll want an answer to is who is going to help us with this? A REALTOR is your navigator through these tricky waters. You'll still be steering the voyage in the direction of your choice, but your agent becomes your guide, your advisor, your representative, your confidant, your personal shopper and much more. With a purchase this important in your lives, you will want to have a knowledgeable agent who can understand you and what you want. You'll be spending ALOT of time with that person for the next few months, so your ability to read each other and have clear communication is essential. Take the time to interview some agents to make sure you've found the person who "fits" your life.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 5, 2009
Find out what your limitations are.........What's your budget? What are you looking for in a home? Once you determine this your options are really only limited to the amount your willing or qulafied to spend. There is so many options available to buyers today that you would be best served by finding a local Realtor to help you with your search and help you avoid some of the common pitfalls buyers fall into when buying without a professional Realtor aiding them.

Web Reference: http://www.jmsemler.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 5, 2009
Steve is right about the steps; he forgot to mention that you need to start with a good real estate representative, your buyers agent who can answer your question, help pinpoint the answers to Steve's steps and questions to save you time, money, and stress. Remember, your agent works for you and it costs you nothing, in fact, National Association of Realtors and its Minnesota counterpart surveys show that usually using a Real Estate Professional creates a win/win transaction and helps both parties save money. If you want to see the specific statistics, contact me. Liz Fuller, Associates Realty,LLC 612-986-4105
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 5, 2009
1. Affordability. Meet with a mortgage officer to get pre-approved and determine how much a bank will lend you and also to help you determine how much you feel comfortable spending.
2. Location. You can fix, update and personalize a lot of things in a home but you can't change location. Do you like the feel of the neighborhood, is it close to what's important to you? (job, family, recreation, church, friends, ...) Check with the local police to learn of crime statistics for the area or school district to learn of levy's, school performance, etc.
3. Features. Write down separately what you both need and want in a home and then compare notes. Examples: # of bedrooms, # of garage stalls, # of bathrooms, townhome vs. single family, age of home
4. Look. Get out and look at homes, take notes, decide at the end of each day of looking what you liked and didn't like, what you learned.

Don't be afraid to change your mind! As you look at homes, you'll be learning a lot about what you need and want in a home and forming your opinions. Looking in person is A LOT different than looking on-line. Know up-front that your home search and looking at homes will be an education and a process. Plan on starting to look around 3 months in advance of when you want to move in and have patience.
Web Reference: http://TheHoemTeam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 5, 2009
1). Find an agent that you want to work with
2). Get pre-approved
3). Look at a bunch of homes within the area(s) that you are wanting
4). Once you have looked at several homes, narrow down some "must-have" items (3 bedrooms, 2 bath, private owner's suite, n'hood specifics, and so on). Your agent can direct you on high return items, market specifics, and so on. Look at more homes and at this point, you will be pretty knowledgeable in the market.
5). When you are ready, start writing offers. If you are looking for that "deal" don't be afraid to write several offers.

Scott Hutchinson
Edina Realty
C: 612 396-0692
The bones of the home have to be soild! And you should feel comfortable with your payment!
Web Reference: http://www.funkyhuts.com

If you haven't already purchased a home I have a short list that I advise buyers to focus on.

1. Get Pre-Qualified by a Mortgage Company or Your Local Banker
2. Figure out where you want to live and where you don't want to live
3. Hire an agent to help you - it's FREE to you (the sellers always pay the commissions)
4. Don't buy without an inspection
5. Get the deal done - if you're interested in the first time home buyers tax credit of $8,000 your purchase needs to close before November 30th - If I were you I would shoot for early November to avoid any disaapointments - the end of November is going to crazy busy.
6. Visit my web site - I try to share useful, updated information for buyers and sellers.

Web Reference: http://www.brianingle.com

You have some great answer below already. I would also encourage you to not make the same mistake that most first time homebuyers do. Don't work with the first or even second agent you meet because they are nice. There are a lot of nice agents out there that won't do a good job representing you. Talk to some family members or friends and ask them for some referrals. If you can't go that route, find a couple of Trulia agents whose values seem to line up with yours (read some of their answers) and set up some phone interviews. Narrow your search down to a couple of agents and set up a meeting with each to talk to them about the process.

As agents we all love the clients who call us and trust us blindly, but you owe yourself more than that. Interview a number of people and find the best fit. Remember that experience is important but isn't everything, and that Trust is probably the most important aspect of the relationship you are about to enter.

Cameron Piper
Web Reference: http://www.campiper.com